Garmin Overlander GPS

Camelot

Has anyone tried the Garmin Overlander off road yet?

I run Gaia and Funtrecks 4X4 on a IPad Mini but like some of the features I seen on the Garmin unit. (Connects to your inReach device)

For less than $700.00 it’s pretty cheap so it might be worth just to buy and try.

Curios how it perform on trails, not roads.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Has anyone tried the Garmin Overlander off road yet?

I run Gaia and Funtrecks 4X4 on a IPad Mini but like some of the features I seen on the Garmin unit. (Connects to your inReach device)

For less than $700.00 it’s pretty cheap so it might be worth just to buy and try.

Curios how it perform on trails, not roads.

Jesus, my definition of pretty cheap and yours are totally different. $700 for a GPS that you already have.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Camelot

Jesus, my definition of pretty cheap and yours are totally different. $700 for a GPS that you already have.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Not at all. The IPad only works in a vehicle and not on any of my motorcycles. I like a device that works in both worlds. Anything works is a cushy vehicle but off road on a Motorcycle is a rougher element.

NFRs2000NYC

Not at all. The IPad only works in a vehicle and not on any of my motorcycles. I like a device that works in both worlds. Anything works is a cushy vehicle but off road on a Motorcycle is a rougher element.

But you already own the best and most powerful gps money can buy, and it fits in your pocket....your smartphone. Just buy a proper clip for your bike and call it good. I honestly don’t understand how garmin is still in the business of making hardware.

Camelot

Because a smartphone don’t hold up in the ADV bike environment when the weather turns bad. It makes a big difference having a good (or two) NAV units while over landing on a larger ADV bike. Think dust / rain / snow / freezing rain. / mud. Also hot sun shuts down the apple units pretty fast. Had my IPad shut down several times when it was laying on the dash in my airplane. (The IPad is approved as back up, not primary for a reason)

I would never trust my life to an Apple device for navigation.

Anything works in a vehicle or on a street bike.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Because a smartphone don’t hold up in the ADV bike environment when the weather turns bad. It makes a big difference having a good (or two) NAV units while over landing on a larger ADV bike. Think dust / rain / snow / freezing rain. / mud. Also hot sun shuts down the apple units pretty fast. Had my IPad shut down several times when it was laying on the dash in my airplane. (The IPad is approved as back up, not primary for a reason)

Damn we aren’t on your level. A JL, motorcycles, an airplane. Baller.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Piginajeep

Crazy, the guys that fly the Space ship for Virgin Galactic do. [emoji854]

Camelot

So back to the original question, does anyone have any experience with this Garmin unit? (I assume no since I have got no useful info)

cb4017

I'm interested in this as well. Problem is I'm not sure it will do anything better than the Garmin (was DeLorme) Earthmate app that I use now. I also have BackCountry Navigator Pro but still trying to figure that out.

Spack

Gaia just released Apple CarPlay support for their app. Not sure about android. It works great and displays whatever map you have currently showing on your phone. It will even give you turn by turn through the speakers and calls out every mile. Much better price than paying for an additional unit.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Camelot

Gaia just released Apple CarPlay support for their app. Not sure about android. It works great and displays whatever map you have currently showing on your phone. It will even give you turn by turn through the speakers and calls out every mile. Much better price than paying for an additional unit.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yes and again. Works in a cushy car. Not on a ADV off road motorcycle. Over landing in a Jeep is protected and easy. I am looking for something that holds up in a more harsh environment :D.

Last edited: