2.0 turbo.... what are your thoughts?

Hwycycle

I just located a 2020 Willys in Mojito.. which seems to be an unusual color & model color. But it has the 2.0 Turbo (non 48v system).

What do we know about this motor? I never had considered the 4 cylinder... but I like the Willys package and the color. Where else is this motor used?

Thanks all.

MRichaud

We have an '18 JLU with the 2.0. Bought it a few months ago from the dealer - was a loaner with just over 4500 miles on it. So far we're loving it! I was skeptical until I drove it. Great acceleration with the amount of torque it has. Haven't been offroad yet, and most likely it will see little use there, as it's the wife's "daily" driver, and it will be our towed vehicle behind the motor home once I install the tow equipment.

Oh, and virtually no turbo lag, contrary to reports I'd read.

Mickey

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just located a 2020 Willys in Mojito.. which seems to be an unusual color & model color. But it has the 2.0 Turbo (non 48v system).

What do we know about this motor? I never had considered the 4 cylinder... but I like the Willys package and the color. Where else is this motor used?

Thanks all.

It's a brand new motor. Fun to drive if you keep it stock but if you're going to build up your Jeep and run big tires, I can't say that it's all that impressive.

NFRs2000NYC

It's a brand new motor. Fun to drive if you keep it stock but if you're going to build up your Jeep and run big tires, I can't say that it's all that impressive.

Interesting you say that. The higher torque output coupled with lower rpm torque availability *SHOULD* make it the superior option, just like the diesel, when dealing with heavy weight.

Camelot

Theoretically that does not make sense. The 2.0 has a better torque curve so on paper the 2.0 matched with the 8 speed should perform better, but reality might be different?

truckpete

I love the power of mine. Compared to the V6 it really sets you in the seat on acceleration. Definitely not as “tried and true” as the V6 though.. and obviously slightly more complex with direct fuel injection and turbo. You asked what else the engine is in... it’s my understanding that it’s the same engine architecture as the Alfa Romeo Gulia, but with a different cylinder head and different exhaust packaging that gives it slightly less power than the Gulia.

I wouldn’t be completely scared off by the motor.. there doesn’t seem to be mass reports of issues.. they’ve been on the road for a couple of years already, you’d think we’d be hearing about issues by now.

Some service things to consider;
1-You’ll have to run a specific oil in the 4cyl.. MS-13340 rated. I’ve only found it in Penzoil or Mopar synthetic. I run Penzoil.. $22ish at Walmart for 5qt jug
2-Spark plugs are supposed to be replaced every 30k miles on 4cyl turbo. No idea why.
3-Being a direct injected, turbo charged engine... means that you WILL have to address carbon on intake valves at some point. Without fuel being sprayed on the intake side of intake valves.. carbon buildup is inevitable. The engine seems to have a pretty sizable PCV filtration system , which will help.. and I’m sure that the special oil requirements have something to do with mitigation of intake valve carboning issues. (Low burn off oil).. but it will happen at some point. There are aftermarket intake valve cleaner sprays.. but in my experience they don’t work all that well.. you’ll probably have to pull the intake manifold and media blast (usually walnut shells) the carbon off intake valves at some point during the life of the engine.

You’ll have to decide if the extra maintenance is worth the added seat of the pants power. I own a 2.0... and I would say that it actually IS NOT. The V6 is pretty damn good. I bought my Jeep as a leftover with huge discounts. That’s how I ended up with the 2.0.. and I’ll admit.. that seat of the pants feeling when it surges at full torque... impressed the hell out of me. So I gave it a shot. I’m very happy with mine so far. But the V6 is probably the more logical option.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting you say that. The higher torque output coupled with lower rpm torque availability *SHOULD* make it the superior option, just like the diesel, when dealing with heavy weight.

Theoretically that does not make sense. The 2.0 has a better torque curve so on paper the 2.0 matched with the 8 speed should perform better, but reality might be different?

I can only go off of what I've seen. Bone stock, the 2.0L is badass especially on a Rubicon with its higher gear ratio. Built up and on 37's and even regeared like what EVO has been running, all I can say is that I haven't been impressed.

Hwycycle

Thanks all! All great info. Keep it coming.

I’m currently driving a 2016 F150 ecoboost twin turbo and I’m also concerned with the carbon build up.

Camelot

I have driven gasoline turbo vehicles since sometime in the late 80s. (First was a Saab with huge turbo lag, then Volvo’s, Audi’s and MB) Never had I have an issue with carbon buildup after over 30 years with turbo vehicles.

I don’t tend to run a vehicle over 50K miles so maybe that is something that comes later, but then I am already on to the next.

truckpete

I have driven gasoline turbo vehicles since sometime in the late 80s. (First was a Saab with huge turbo lag, then Volvo’s, Audi’s and MB) Never had I have an issue with carbon buildup after over 30 years with turbo vehicles.

I don’t tend to run a vehicle over 50K miles so maybe that is something that comes later, but then I am already on to the next.

Those vehicles had port injection which sprayed fuel before the intake valves... cleaning them with the detergent/solvent effects of gasoline. Modern direct injection turbocharged engines have a track record of carboning up intake valves because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.. never sees the valves. The worst I have heard with this issue is the Mini Coopers... some getting so plugged up by 20 or 30 thousand miles that they misfire. There are several YouTube videos about the issue if you’d like to research it. This is also why Toyota and Ford are both now using port and direct injection together on their new engine designs.

Onlyone

At least at altitude it’s night and day stronger than the 6. No comparison. I had the 6 in my JLUR on 37s which is a terrific motor by the way, but my turbo on 37s is way, way stronger in every area. I don’t even notice the larger tires. If you’re down in elevation it might be a bit different. When I went to buy another Jeep after my 4 door, I specifically wanted the turbo just because of the elevation. For a daily driver there would be no other choice for me.

Polaris Pro

Those vehicles had port injection which sprayed fuel before the intake valves... cleaning them with the detergent/solvent effects of gasoline. Modern direct injection turbocharged engines have a track record of carboning up intake valves because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.. never sees the valves. The worst I have heard with this issue is the Mini Coopers... some getting so plugged up by 20 or 30 thousand miles that they misfire. There are several YouTube videos about the issue if you’d like to research it. This is also why Toyota and Ford are both now using port and direct injection together on their new engine designs.

Yep, wasn’t looking forward to walnut blasting so I went with the 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny

I have both and I love both. High altitude is better with the 2.0. But I think the sound of the 3.6 is sweet. When in doubt get both. You do know what Jeep stands for right? And you probably know that Maserati’s are beautiful and really fun. The service cost is much much worse than Jeep. In comparison, you could say Jeep vehicles are very reliable and easy to maintain. It depends on your perspective. I love my Jeeps. I hope you do too.

YAHAHA

I just saw today that the new Rubicon Recon model only comes with the 2.0; no other engine option.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Camelot

Can’t feel any difference in engine response. I run 35”s with a 2” lift. Feels the same as it did with 33”s on and off road.