2.0 turbo.... what are your thoughts?

Those vehicles had port injection which sprayed fuel before the intake valves... cleaning them with the detergent/solvent effects of gasoline. Modern direct injection turbocharged engines have a track record of carboning up intake valves because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.. never sees the valves. The worst I have heard with this issue is the Mini Coopers... some getting so plugged up by 20 or 30 thousand miles that they misfire. There are several YouTube videos about the issue if you’d like to research it. This is also why Toyota and Ford are both now using port and direct injection together on their new engine designs.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

My 2.0 Audi A4 B7 had this issue after 40K. It also burned oil bad. I had carrying it in the trunk. I’d tuned it & upgraded the PCV but nothing helped. That engine was a disaster waiting to happen.

There’s no replacement for displacement. If you plan on keeping your Jeep get a v6

JTCO

Meme King
Just some thoughts on this 2.0L. Owned it for a very short time, but even with stock gears and 35s, holy shit it still has plenty of decent power.

ttfhell

I’ve got both a jl with 2.0 and a JT with 3.6. Both on 37’s and auto. JL is heavier built so likely weighs the same or more. Turbo wins all day every day. Power hits so much quicker and stronger on street or freeway especially hills.
The 3.6 just doesn’t hit with any power, especially on the freeway. 0-60 via Tazer 1 second longer in the JT.
Only noticeable difference is the 2.0 fan on the trail sounds like a shop vac on steroids. Not going to sneak up on anyone lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve got both a jl with 2.0 and a JT with 3.6. Both on 37’s and auto. JL is heavier built so likely weighs the same or more. Turbo wins all day every day. Power hits so much quicker and stronger on street or freeway especially hills.
The 3.6 just doesn’t hit with any power, especially on the freeway. 0-60 via Tazer 1 second longer in the JT.
Only noticeable difference is the 2.0 fan on the trail sounds like a shop vac on steroids. Not going to sneak up on anyone lol.

I wish I could have done a 0-60 test of our JL and JT when they were bone stock. Both have 3.6L and our JT always felt slower out of the box.

Deepspinners

Drove a 2020 Sahara unlimited with 2.0 while mine was getting steering box replaced. That made me glad I didn’t get a 2.0. It has lots of power and got 26+ mpg average but was the worst sounding engine I have ever heard, sounded like a bucket of marbles rattling around. It had 31000 miles on it. 3 weeks was enough to convince me.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Drove a 2020 Sahara unlimited with 2.0 while mine was getting steering box replaced. That made me glad I didn’t get a 2.0. It has lots of power and got 26+ mpg average but was the worst sounding engine I have ever heard, sounded like a bucket of marbles rattling around. It had 31000 miles on it. 3 weeks was enough to convince me.

Weird. Ours doesn't have any weird sounds like that.

JTCO

Meme King
I did the JT stock before the lift and tires but not JL. Stock JT 8.72 lift and 37’s 9.14. JL turbo lift/37s 8.22.
Definitely noticeable. That 8 speed is the real mvp for both options though.

Both of ours still blow me away the power they have even with 35s. I didn't really feel any difference on the JT when I changed tires. With the 2.0, we put tires on it right away but it still hauls ass. I don't know about yours but I'm pretty sure our JL has 3.45 gears where our JT has 4.11s. And the little 2.0 still puts you back in the seat moreso than the JT.

HHIJL

My 2017 JKU had 3.6 auto trans with 3.73's on just 33's. Our 2020 JLU has 2.0 8-spd auto with 3.45's on 35's, it would run off and hide from our 2017. I test drove the 3.6 8-spd and the 2.0 8-spd when I bought ours, and both ran very good with the 8-spd auto, I was more impressed the 2.0 so I went with it. The 35's and lift did not seem to make any difference in acceleration, still hauls ass. The only difference I can see is it does not like to run in 8th gear with the stock 3.45's, but I've heard everyone say that about stock geared 3.6's and 2.0's.

JTCO

Meme King
The only difference I can see is it does not like to run in 8th gear with the stock 3.45's, but I've heard everyone say that about stock geared 3.6's and 2.0's.

Even our JT, 4.11s and a 3.6 with 35s lost 8th gear. Not a complaint; it is what it is.

Gerry878

I’ve driven both and... V6 all day every day.

That PUG engine is a reliable beast. After the upgrades made from the JK 3.6, the new PUG is just better than ever. Numbers on paper doesn’t matter. It speaks for itself.

Last edited:

ttfhell

I’ve driven both and... V6 all day every day.

That PUG engine is a reliable beast. After the upgrades made from the JK 3.6, the new PUG is just better than ever. Numbers on paper doesn’t matter. It speaks for itself.

What upgrades were made? Not sure reliable is the word I’d use on the 3.6 based on the number of people I know replaced them in the JK.

HHIJL

What upgrades were made? Not sure reliable is the word I’d use on the 3.6 based on the number of people I know replaced them in the JK.

The 3.6 Pentastar has had major issues with cylinder heads from 2012 up. The 3.6 has been used in everything, from Ram trucks, mini vans, Jeeps of all models, Chargers and Challengers and on and on. Dealerships were replacing on average 4-5 cylinder heads a week. Most of the upgrades to the 3.6 are in the cylinder heads and valve train.

My 2017 JKU had a bad cylinder head at 40,000 miles, still in powertrain warranty. It sat at the dealership for almost 90 days with the cylinder heads on back order, there was 3 other JK's parked beside mine waiting on cylinder heads. Thats when I traded it on my 2020 JLU, because they told me it could be up to 3 more months before they get the heads, there was no eta on the heads.

Last edited:

DavidDJL69

Run those 2.0 liter turbos for a few years, do some serious off-roading and then report back how much you like it then. I’m not really interested in hauling ass in a JL so the 3.6 works great for my needs. Glad you like the turbos, so far.

HHIJL

Run those 2.0 liter turbos for a few years, do some serious off-roading and then report back how much you like it then. I’m not really interested in hauling ass in a JL so the 3.6 works great for my needs. Glad you like the turbos, so far.

Time will tell if the 2.0 will be durable or not, like you said we will know in a couple years.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The 3.6 Pentastar has had major issues with cylinder heads from 2012 up. The 3.6 has been used in everything, from Ram trucks, mini vans, Jeeps of all models, Chargers and Challengers and on and on. Dealerships were replacing on average 4-5 cylinder heads a week. Most of the upgrades to the 3.6 are in the cylinder heads and valve train.

My 2017 JKU had a bad cylinder head at 40,000 miles, still in powertrain warranty. It sat at the dealership for almost 90 days with the cylinder heads on back order, there was 3 other JK's parked beside mine waiting on cylinder heads. Thats when I traded it on my 2020 JLU, because they told me it could be up to 3 more months before they get the heads, there was no eta on the heads.

He is well aware of the issues of the 3.6. Lol

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal