3.6 vs 2.0

So my friend was showing me his new jeep which is a rubi with a 2.0 with the BSG. It was a leftover he got a good deal on. The 2.0 is cool and it def hits a bit harder off the line. However i threw it on my lift and started looking at everything and it. I felt bad because i know he wants to keep it for a long time but with the extra battery, the bsg , lack of port injection , turbo seals it just seems like this engine is going to be a huge pain in the ass to maintain into the 100k mark and beyond. I do most of my own maintenance and work on my jeeps pretty much everything besides gear and transmission stuff. The 3.6 though a bit more complicated vs JK era, (jk era is very good to work on) the addition of cooled egr and higher compression. Its still way les complex to work on. Can still pop out a starter and pop in a new, port injection so fuel pressure stays relatively low and injectors are cheap. No extra heat from turbo, 3.6 is like 60 lbs lighter. 3.6 can be maintained into the 200k easily. I personally drive my rigs a lot on the highway and keep them a long time. I have an xj and a wj well into the 200k range and had 120k on my jk had a tahoe that i sold with 270k. What do you guys think about overall longevity of the 2.0? If i was a betting man, id give it a thumbs down. And more of a lease vehicle, Than a buy. I cant find any real positives in it, and the 1-2 mpg is a wash honestly.

Hwycycle

I’m interested in the same thoughts... I located a 2020 Willys with a 2.0 non- 48v turbo. I never considered the 4 cylinder, but I like the package & color combo. I also noticed the auto trans option is much cheaper with the 4 cylinder. $1500 vs $2750 when mated to the 6 cylinder.

TheGrendel

So my friend was showing me his new jeep which is a rubi with a 2.0 with the BSG. It was a leftover he got a good deal on. The 2.0 is cool and it def hits a bit harder off the line. However i threw it on my lift and started looking at everything and it. I felt bad because i know he wants to keep it for a long time but with the extra battery, the bsg , lack of port injection , turbo seals it just seems like this engine is going to be a huge pain in the ass to maintain into the 100k mark and beyond. I do most of my own maintenance and work on my jeeps pretty much everything besides gear and transmission stuff. The 3.6 though a bit more complicated vs JK era, (jk era is very good to work on) the addition of cooled egr and higher compression. Its still way les complex to work on. Can still pop out a starter and pop in a new, port injection so fuel pressure stays relatively low and injectors are cheap. No extra heat from turbo, 3.6 is like 60 lbs lighter. 3.6 can be maintained into the 200k easily. I personally drive my rigs a lot on the highway and keep them a long time. I have an xj and a wj well into the 200k range and had 120k on my jk had a tahoe that i sold with 270k. What do you guys think about overall longevity of the 2.0? If i was a betting man, id give it a thumbs down. And more of a lease vehicle, Than a buy. I cant find any real positives in it, and the 1-2 mpg is a wash honestly.

as hwycycle said, the 2020 no longer has the etorque. so, i'd be concerned about what kind of support FCA will have for the 2 year run of 2.0 etorque engines.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When I first saw and test drove a 2.0L, I was pretty impressed. Now, I'm not so much and for a lot of the reasons you listed. Service intervals come at you a lot quicker and seeing it on the trail running 37's has left me not really wanting one.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
When I first saw and test drove a 2.0L, I was pretty impressed. Now, I'm not so much and for a lot of the reasons you listed. Service intervals come at you a lot quicker and seeing it on the trail running 37's has left me not really wanting one.

I had the thought that it would be best for pavement pounding, all along.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Onlyone

After owning both, I wouldn’t go back to the V6. In 4 low there is no difference. In 4 high and 2wd the difference is quite large, especially if you’re going to a bigger tire. The torque difference down low is just too much for the V6 to overcome.

The 8 speed really helps the V6 but you still have to wind it out to get it to go anywhere, in the altitude especially. If you’re closer to sea level, your experience might be different. Most likely not by much. I will say, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the V6. It just doesn’t have that low end torque.

I’ve had a few DI turbos, I have yet to have any issues with carbon buildup. Can it be an issue? Sure, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. Run good SN+ oil, keep up on plugs and I’m sure these engines will give you a nice long life. Don’t be afraid of buying either of them.

TripleB

What about a 2 door with 37s? Does the 2.0L have enough? Maybe a dumb question but just asking because of the overall weight difference in a 2 & 4 door. I’m not even sure of the weight difference.

13_gecko_rubi

as hwycycle said, the 2020 no longer has the etorque. so, i'd be concerned about what kind of support FCA will have for the 2 year run of 2.0 etorque engines.
All 2020 Saharas still have eTorque. Both 2L and 3.6L. And the 2020 Rubicon Recon has the 2.0L eTorque. Don't think for a min that powertrain is going anywhere.

Sent via....

TheGrendel

All 2020 Saharas still have eTorque. Both 2L and 3.6L. And the 2020 Rubicon Recon has the 2.0L eTorque. Don't think for a min that powertrain is going anywhere.

Sent via....

Really? Damn FCA is confusing as shit with all of this. When I go on the Jeep build site, it only shows 2.0 ESS (electronic stop/start). I read they were adding the etorque to the 3.6 and thought they were completely dropping it on the 2.0.

JTCO

Meme King
Really? Damn FCA is confusing as shit with all of this. When I go on the Jeep build site, it only shows 2.0 ESS (electronic stop/start). I read they were adding the etorque to the 3.6 and thought they were completely dropping it on the 2.0.

I'd trust what Scott has to say over the Jeep build site. When I ordered mine, I had some questions based on confusion and incorrect info in regards to the builder site and Scott was correct every time, lol.

TheGrendel

I'd trust what Scott has to say over the Jeep build site. When I ordered mine, I had some questions based on confusion and incorrect info in regards to the builder site and Scott was correct every time, lol.

I fully believe him mostly because it is in the DNA of FCA to screw up nearly all aspects of information delivered to the public. “Launch Edition” Gladiators coming months after Gladiators hit the lots. Loyal Jeep owners that ordered the new diesel as soon as the order banks opened only to get passed by for dealer straw purchases.

truckpete

I’ll 2nd that... my 2.0 spins my 35’s like nothing. And that’s with stock 3.45 Sport gearing. And when I say spin... I mean that if I’m pulling onto a street and get into the throttle too much it breaks the 35’s loose without breaking a sweat. Would be a burnout machine if you wanted to.

I believe that Eddies assessment is for off-road use. I could see where the peaky torque surge of the turbo wouldn’t be as good off-road. It definitely has more mid torque than the V6.. but it’s soft(compared to larger displacement V6)off idle, then ramps up hard and fast at about 2000rpm when turbo starts hitting its sweet spot. So if you’re crawling over 3ft tall boulders... it can go from soft power to too much power really fast... breaking tires loose.

If you want less maintenance and proven longevity.. go for the 6.. if you love turbos and technology (or like in my case... found a screaming deal).. give the 4cyl a shot.

I wasnt asking about the extra 25lbs of torque. Im talking about longevity. Spark plug intervals at 30 k. And replacing injectors is a 500+ dollar job. Yea everything works good when its
New but lets see how this pans out. It honestly looks like a pain in the balls even without the 48v system and battery... injectors are 128$ from mopar. And they need an oring and gasket. Both 5 each . Then labor. Its a service shops dream.

Could you be more specific? I off road regularly with 2.0L 4dr Rubi with 37's and am curious on your observations.

Camelot

Never kept a car longer than 3 years, don’t plan on in the future either so it’s not a concern for me.

Interesting to see comments on concerns for a few hundred $ for service when people spend $20K on all kinds of stuff bolted on to their Jeeps. (Including me, probably up to $12K so far) And when off-roading, shit will break if you do it right!

4wd

Never kept a car longer than 3 years, don’t plan on in the future either so it’s not a concern for me.

Interesting to see comments on concerns for a few hundred $ for service when people spend $20K on all kinds of stuff bolted on to their Jeeps. (Including me, probably up to $12K so far) And when off-roading, shit will break if you do it right!
This has always killed me. Someone will nickle and dime to get 10 more dollars off the new car buy and then spend thousands on stuff they do not need to look cool.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Onlyone

So much truth to that....:cheesy:

Seems a bit ignorant to try and argue that point doesn’t it. :doh::cheesy:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

So much truth to that....:cheesy:

Seems a bit ignorant to try and argue that point doesn’t it. :doh::cheesy:

I would not say it is ignorance. Less money for service leaves more in your pocket. To each, his own.