7k Miles and Transmission Is Slipping

Brandiland

Sooo..I've had my Jeep 33 days. In those 33 days I put 2k miles on it. The Jeep is a 2018 sport unlimited. The dealer had it as their loaner Jeep when a customer had their Jeep in for repairs..hmm.. foreshadowing. Anyway, so when I bought it, it had 5k miles. I haven't been anywhere but in town with the exception of the interstate twice. I haven't even ridden with the top down yet. Yesterday, I was stopped at a red light. When I pushed the gas pedal to go.. it didn't. It simply revved. I pushed again and it slowly started going. I've ridden motorcycles my whole life, so I instantly felt that gut wrenching "clutch slipping" sensation. I immediately pulled into a gas station that just happened to be right there. I put it in park, then drive. It wouldn't engage. Reverse wouldn't either. I knew what this meant. I shut it off and called the dealer. Then a tow truck. Sigh...
Fast forward half an hour. Dealer calls back to confirm Jeep info. He then asked if I'd been in lightning. Umm...no. He also knew my location and we're in the same town. Bright, sunny day. Anyway he proceeds to ask if I'd changed my oil. I snickered and said, "at 7k miles? " (mind you, I've only had it for 2k). I said no and he said, "ah! Bet that's your problem. If you don't change your oil it'll do just what you're describing." I literally laughed at that. I understand a lot of women don't understand mechanical things. I'm not one of them. I told him that's not the problem here. He won't be handling my Jeep.
This morning I was told it was showing clutch failure, (I knew that) a cable failure and other transmission issues. Once they break into the transmission I'll know what's really happening. This is just the preliminary test done on it. Pretty confident its not a sensor failure though.

Anyone else experience transmission issues this early in miles? Dealer said he doesn't have a loaner vehicle for me and says Jeep will be in the shop a week.. maybe a week and a half. Which we all know means 2-3 weeks minimum.

Does anyone know what my REAL options are? Do I trust their transmission work on a 33 day old purchase??
Should I push the loaner car issue? He said he'll update me on Monday.
Ugh! I had such big plans for this Jeep. Now I'm discouraged.
20200115_153138.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I would push back as hard as you can. They need to be dealing with that. No a transmission shouldn't be slipping like that especially at that low of mileage.

Brandiland

Exactly. I don't want to be "that" customer, but I also don't want them to take their time and abuse my niceness. My biggest concern is do I trust their transmission work? I'd hate to be shelling out money a few years down the road on a vehicle that started out with problems.
I would push back as hard as you can. They need to be dealing with that. No a transmission shouldn't be slipping like that especially at that low of mileage.

JTCO

Meme King
Exactly. I don't want to be "that" customer, but I also don't want them to take their time and abuse my niceness. My biggest concern is do I trust their transmission work? I'd hate to be shelling out money a few years down the road on a vehicle that started out with problems.

I honestly wonder if they would even rebuild it. A lot of times they just replace with exchange units these days. I would ask the service advisor what the repair procedure and steps are. Did he say they would actually be tearing it down, pulling the valve body, or what?

TLife

I’m not sure if you technically bought it new or used, but all new JLs and JTs should automatically be enrolled in the Jeep Wave program that mandates the dealer give you a loaner for service. Just something to look into if you haven’t already.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Brandiland

Because it was a dealer loaner, I get all the perks of a new vehicle. Warranty, Wave Program.. everything. He said he didn't have any and that he'd try to get me one. I'm not holding my breath though.
I’m not sure if you technically bought it new or used, but all new JLs and JTs should automatically be enrolled in the Jeep Wave program that mandates the dealer give you a loaner for service. Just something to look into if you haven’t already.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Brandiland

He didn't say. He said until the tech can get into it and see exactly what's going on, he couldn't tell me anything else. That should have happened today. So hopefully they'll call me Monday morning and tell me something. I just hope this isn't going to be a continuous problem.
I honestly wonder if they would even rebuild it. A lot of times they just replace with exchange units these days. I would ask the service advisor what the repair procedure and steps are. Did he say they would actually be tearing it down, pulling the valve body, or what?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm embarrassed to say that this is the first time I read through this thread. Have you ever contacted JeepCares here on the forum? Any new updates?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I know that the policy of GM is usually to repair it. I am right next to a trans guy and he rebuild a decent amount under warranty.

JTCO

Meme King
Yes, sorry for the delay in an update. I completely forgot I joined this group.
The valve body had to be replaced. I was also told Chrysler is aware of this problem. So mine wasn't just a fluke case.

Glad to hear they knew what it was and it was such a simple fix. Were parts easily available?