ARB single compressor or a portable one like a Smittybuilt 2781

camashutchins

I am new to offroading but I am trying to get my vehicle equipped for some Overlanding and trail. Nothing extreme but something that gets me out of the city. I have a 2018 JLR that I have upgraded with a 2" Mopar lift, RK front lower arms, F&R track bars, 35" Toyo RT's, a winch, bumpers and I am waiting for the parts replace the tie rods and drag link (Steer Smart). I also have a Terraflex steering stabilizer and rear track bar bracket relocation bracket. Last upgrade will be a Synergy track bar bracket.

I am now researching communications items I will need such as a CB or Ham radio. The other item I am looking into is an air compressor. I like the idea of an on-board ARB single compressor but I am not sure I like the price and that it is not portable. I have another car that is under construction but will be a street and track vehicle so the portable compressor is appealing. Is it really worth it to spring for the ARB?

Perhaps an air tank is a better solution for the track days and the ARB for the Jeep. Thanks for the help.

JTCO

Meme King
I can honestly say IMO that the ARB is worth it. I currently own 3. 1 Twin and 2 singles. None are portable though, they're all onboard. I have seen a couple ViAir ones on the trail that did well too.

Prior to my first ARB, I had a Slime compressor that I got at Cabela's. It never failed but took about 40 minutes to air up 32s from 20 psi to 30 psi. Wife and kids were thrilled.

I had a buddy who used a cheap Walmart one on the trail and happened to have a flat on the trail. It was his first time using the compressor and it burnt out on him after about 3 minutes of trying to fill the flat tire. We had to help him air up with our compressors.

IMO, the ARB really has value for the money. It takes about 10 minutes to air up a set of tires and ARB customer service rocks.

Oh, and as far as your steering, if you haven't already ordered your steer smarts stuff, you may want to look elsewhere. They don't have a real good reputation. Personally I'd run stock stuff until it's time to replace.

drhcobra

I have a viair but decided to install the ARB. It’s gonna be faster to air the tires plus I won’t need to hookup to the battery and drag everything out. Just push a button and plug the hose in. Should cut air up time in half. I’ll keep the viair to use around the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JLRay

ARB makes a portable air compressor. You can find them on Amazon. [emoji106]

Last edited:

CalSgt

I have both an ARB mounted and a Viair portable

The Viair 450P portable kit works great, probably a little stronger and faster compressor than the ARB single but its one more thing I had to load and unload out of the jeep all the time. It was buried after my 3 day Rubicon trip & a PIA to get out to air up before getting back on the highway. Plus any good portable will hook directly to the battery with alligator clips, which means I would have to unlatch and prop the hood too. It does a great job airing up my truck and trailer tires so it lives behind the seat in the truck now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9EGFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reasons above is why I got the ARB permanently mounted, plus it's always with me, and easy to get to when someone needs air on the trail.

I had a $75 Slime compressor from Walmart that claimed to be rated for 150 PSI, it was great for car, bicycle, and ATV tires but the first time I tried airing up a trailer tire from 50 to 80 psi on the side of the freeway it got so hot the hoses melted off of it.

camashutchins

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the ARB is a good compressor and I will go that way. I will purchase the on board compressor to save space and buy a separate cheaper compressor for my other car. Having a 2 door greatly limits what I can take with me. I hope to take my wife and girls with me on some adventures.

I just ordered my bracket from Eddie and will get the rest of the stuff together over the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the help!

Darreld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. It sounds like the ARB is a good compressor and I will go that way. I will purchase the on board compressor to save space and buy a separate cheaper compressor for my other car. Having a 2 door greatly limits what I can take with me. I hope to take my wife and girls with me on some adventures.

I just ordered my bracket from Eddie and will get the rest of the stuff together over the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the help!

Darreld

Just wanted to thank you for your order. I honestly think you'll be happy with the ARB :yup:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I can honestly say IMO that the ARB is worth it. I currently own 3. 1 Twin and 2 singles. None are portable though, they're all onboard. I have seen a couple ViAir ones on the trail that did well too.

Prior to my first ARB, I had a Slime compressor that I got at Cabela's. It never failed but took about 40 minutes to air up 32s from 20 psi to 30 psi. Wife and kids were thrilled.

I had a buddy who used a cheap Walmart one on the trail and happened to have a flat on the trail. It was his first time using the compressor and it burnt out on him after about 3 minutes of trying to fill the flat tire. We had to help him air up with our compressors.

IMO, the ARB really has value for the money. It takes about 10 minutes to air up a set of tires and ARB customer service rocks.

Oh, and as far as your steering, if you haven't already ordered your steer smarts stuff, you may want to look elsewhere. They don't have a real good reputation. Personally I'd run stock stuff until it's time to replace.

I’ve only dealt with ARB once and it was when I needed a harness for a compressor because it was stolen. I asked for some help on part numbers and options and was told nothing was available and I needed to buy a new kit. I sold the compressor bare to someone here and he bought all the shit on amazon and saved money on the kit.

We will see if they can redeem themselves on the customer service aspect when I get my twin repaired (if needed, not sure yet) but my first and only dealings was not what I expected.

Their products are top notch though.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

camashutchins

I started and finished this project tonight. It is a well designed bracket and was a very easy install. I think the whole thing took me under 2 hours. Thanks for the help everyone and the great produce Eddie!

Jeeps are so nice to work on. It is like an erector set for adults! Nothing like my other project, a pro-touring Volvo 1800. Everything has to be fabricated for that thing. Here is a link to a build thread if anyone is interested.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/95668-1968-Volvo-project-Pure-Volvocity/page32?highlight=Volvo