Tire relocation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is the tire actually making contact with the bumper? If it's just clearing it, I'd leave well enough alone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah when I open the tailgate it hits it and closing it

Sent from my SM-G950W using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If it isn't too bad, I would still leave well enough alone as the bumper will help support the weight of the spare. The problem with relocation brackets is that they tend to extend the spare out and away from the tailgate allowing it to sit unsecured and left to jiggle. This is what causes damage to the tailgate.

SouthCo

The Rubicon comes with 33” tires, so do they have a different bracket than the Sport and Sahara? Or is the recessed area in the bumper beneath the tire larger to allow clearance?

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
if you use a re-location bracket get some tire isolators as well. The bracket will raise up the tire and push it out. You will want the tire to make contact with the isolators to prevent it from raddling. I have the Iron Cross re-location bracket on mine and wouldn't recommend that one. It is a heavy piece and I think between that and the 35's it adds a lot of weight to the tailgate. I'm sure someone else could recommend a better one like JTCO did with the rock hard 4x4 or even the LOD one that Eddie ran on his JL

Last edited:

SouthCo

I have the altitude Edition that comes with 18 inch rims the tires that came on it where summer Tires so I took them off and ask him to put ko2s on and they put the 33 in one's on which is 285 70 18

Sent from my SM-G950W using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I understood that u didn’t have a Rubicon but my question was how does the stock 33” size tire fit on the Rubicon.... If the Rubicon bracket is different maybe that’s your solution. Maybe the Rubicon bumper is slightly different... I’m curious because I plan to go to at least a 33” when my stock A/T tires wear out.

ddays v2

That's odd that the 33's are that close. My 35's clear on both sides of the recess and juuuuust kiss the bottom on the bumper recess, which is good as the tire is right on the bumper.
I do have the steel bumpers so maybe that is the difference.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg