Cut Inner Fenders - Why?

tobyw

I'm considering downsizing / consolidating by selling off my Dodge and my JLU-R and getting into a Gladiator:

IMG_5582.jpg

There is a used Gladiator Launch Edition sitting on a dealer lot here locally, and I spent some time this weekend looking it over and giving it a thorough test drive:

IMG_6162.jpg

Everything seems to check out just fine, but I noticed the front inner fenders on both sides have been cut, seemingly to access the catalytic converters or something?

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

Was there a recall or TSB or something issued that would have caused a lazy dealer tech to need to access that area and simply cut the liners rather than spend the 43 seconds to actually remove them???

JTCO

Meme King
There's a bulletin on the Rubicons where the fenders get soft and the tires catch on them and tear them. Only happens on the Rubicons because the tires are larger. I'll find it and post it here in a sec. I personally wouldn't let that influence a buying decision. Hell, on the JKs, people pulled them on purpose and left them off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What JTCO said, I wouldn't give it too much thought especially if it's a good deal. Maybe use it to bargain for a lower price but keep that to yourself. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Agreed, use this info and the damage to get 2k off the price, and use it for mods that you were gonna do anywhere. :thumb:

YAHAHA

That’s nice looking truck. Did you buy it?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

tobyw

That’s nice looking truck. Did you buy it?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

We have not... Still on the fence about giving up a fullsize for a daily driver? I haven't daily driven a "small" vehicle since I bought my first Ford Super Duty back in 1999 :idontknow:

JTCO

Meme King
We have not... Still on the fence about giving up a fullsize for a daily driver? I haven't daily driven a "small" vehicle since I bought my first Ford Super Duty back in 1999 :idontknow:

I used to have a 1999 F350 Supercrew Longbed. We now have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I'd take the Gladiator any day for a daily driver. Now towing and lumber storage, that's a different story.