Install Diode Dynamics Clear Sidemarkers For Jeep JL Wrangler or Jeep JT Gladiator

JTCO

Meme King
Since the JL Wrangler was released, there's one thing cosmetically that's driven me nuts. It's that amber colored side marker on the front fenders. And of course, the JT Gladiator has it as well. A company called Diode Dynamics has come out with a clean option to exchange it for a clear one that cleans up the look a lot, IMO. I've been eyeing these for awhile and finally decided to buy some. I confirmed with the manufacturer that these will work with either a Jeep JL Wrangler or a Jeep JT Gladiator. The marker illumination and turn signal will still illuminate the amber color, but when the LED is not illuminated, it will look clear and clean. And Made In The USA.

Here's what the OEM amber one looks like:

intro.jpg

banda (1).jpg

And here's the new clear one after install:

banda (3).jpg

Here's a comparison of the two side by side:

banda (2).jpg

Of course before installing these, one should check with their local city, county, and state vehicle lighting laws to make sure this can be done legally.

What's needed:

Diode Dynamics LED Sidemarkers (note that they make 3 colors/shades):

https://www.amazon.com/Sidemarkers-...5feb18fb8400a68565386&creativeASIN=B07Q47XKCV

DSC06534.jpg

A trim push pin removal tool:

tool (3).jpg

A mechanic's pick:

tool (1).jpg

A T30 torx DRIVER (A T30 socket may be too large to fit in the tight space):

tool (2).jpg

Note that the picture below reference the driver's side. First remove two plastic push pins holding the inner wheel well liner in place. After removing them, you can fold the liner up out of the way to access the area.

DSC06545.jpg

DSC06546.jpg

Use a mechanic's pick to disconnect the side marker wiring harness.

DSC06554.jpg

DSC06558.jpg

Then use the T30 torx driver to remove the bolt on the left (the most outboard one). It is very tight and I could not fit a socket in this area. I had to use a thin T30 driver. I put a red X over the bolt that should not be removed.

DSC06549.jpg

DSC06560.jpg

The side marker should come right out and here's a better view of the bolt that was taken out.

DSC06564.jpg

Then from here, the install of the new marker light is the reverse of the removal. I used some color coordinated dots here to show that tabs that must be meshed together in order to get the new light to fit properly. I found this step the easiest by routing the wiring harness back in first, then STARTING the bolt into the new LED marker, and then pushing the plastic tabs together. Then I tightened up the bolt fully.

DSC06566.jpg

DSC06567.jpg

Reconnect the wiring harness and re-fasten the inner wheel well liner:

DSC06569.jpg

DSC06570.jpg

Ensure that parking lights and turn signals work correctly. That's it. Took me about ten minutes per side.

Last edited:

CalSgt

I may have get a pair of those (after LA's & coilovers & more steering parts & gears & new rock sliders)

MrGiant

Nice install write up, great detailed work!
But for me personally, I'd always prefer the orange/amber color for these. Just a question of personal taste. The same with tail lights, I like red better than white or black 'smoked' ones

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

SouthCo

Nice write up. I’ve seen these on another JL in person and really like the look. Eventually I’ll swap mine out for these clear ones...

JTCO

Meme King
Nice install write up, great detailed work!
But for me personally, I'd always prefer the orange/amber color for these. Just a question of personal taste. The same with tail lights, I like red better than white or black 'smoked' ones

I get it. Definitely depends on personal taste.

Great write up it looks pretty good! [emoji106]

Great solution you found there and awesome write-up!! :thumb:

I wouldn’t have given it a thought, but it does look much better!

Awesome write up!

Nice write up. I’ve seen these on another JL in person and really like the look. Eventually I’ll swap mine out for these clear ones...

Thanks. I'm really liking these.

NFRs2000NYC

:cheesy: reminds me of the days I drove around euro cars, my BMWs and Audis, I couldn't STAND seeing orange anything....wouldnt even have orange bulbs inside clear housings because they gave off an orange cast when off (this was pre LED days)....it was always an odd pet peeve of mine. Looks great.

JTCO

Meme King
:cheesy: reminds me of the days I drove around euro cars, my BMWs and Audis, I couldn't STAND seeing orange anything....wouldnt even have orange bulbs inside clear housings because they gave off an orange cast when off (this was pre LED days)....it was always an odd pet peeve of mine. Looks great.

Prior to Jeeps, I was a Modified Mustang and Import guy myself. That's probably where my distaste of the amber color comes from, lol. #fastandfurious