Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Picking a new set of rims - what backspacing is needed?

  1. #1

    Picking a new set of rims - what backspacing is needed?

    Okay.
    I am progressing, getting the correct lift kit tomorrow and will install this weekend. Time to get tires and rims on order.

    I could use some advice on rim sizes.

    I have a 2019 JLUR and I am adding a 2Ē Rancho sport lift.

    I plan on Goodrich K02 35/12.5/17.

    I like the Fuel Beast rims but what back spacing (or is it offset?) should I pick? I donít want to use spacers and I donít want to adjust the steering stops.

    Grateful for advice.

  2. #2
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,563
    If you think you might go bigger or wider in the future, 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend. It's a super common back spacing and it'll clear just about everything. That being said, if you think you'll be sticking with the tire size you have now, 4.5" might be a better way to go as it'll help pull your tires under the fenders and keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting a bit longer. You should still clear what you need with that. Of course, you can always do something in between.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you think you might go bigger or wider in the future, 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend. It's a super common back spacing and it'll clear just about everything. That being said, if you think you'll be sticking with the tire size you have now, 4.5" might be a better way to go as it'll help pull your tires under the fenders and keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting a bit longer. You should still clear what you need with that. Of course, you can always do something in between.
    Thanks again Eddie 👍🏻

  4. #4
    Stupid question #2:
    I really like the OEM rims, but assume they are not wide enough for the 35/12.5/17 or are they?

    My assumption is that I will need wheel spacers if I go that route and it seems to be a failure point I should avoid

  5. #5
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    Stupid question #2:
    I really like the OEM rims, but assume they are not wide enough for the 35/12.5/17 or are they?

    My assumption is that I will need wheel spacers if I go that route and it seems to be a failure point I should avoid
    I believe you will need wheel spacers if running those tires on factory wheels. That's how it was on the JK. I'd assume the JL is very similar.

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch TLife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    43
    JLUR axles are 2.5Ē wider than JK axles, Iím thinking spacers might not be required.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    Okay.
    I am progressing, getting the correct lift kit tomorrow and will install this weekend. Time to get tires and rims on order.

    I could use some advice on rim sizes.

    I have a 2019 JLUR and I am adding a 2Ē Rancho sport lift.

    I plan on Goodrich K02 35/12.5/17.

    I like the Fuel Beast rims but what back spacing (or is it offset?) should I pick? I donít want to use spacers and I donít want to adjust the steering stops.

    Grateful for advice.
    Going with a 4.5 inch backspace is very common as mentioned. Please let us know if we can help.
    Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
    At The Store: discounttire.com
    To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

    Useful Links:

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch shekmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Manasquan, NJ
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
    Going with a 4.5 inch backspace is very common as mentioned. Please let us know if we can help.
    What would be the backspace for a JLUR Rubicon if you don't want the tires to stick out more than maybe an inch or just be even with outer fender? Assume 8.5 or 9" wheel. Thanks.
    2018 Rubicon.
    3.6, auto, Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by shekmark View Post
    What would be the backspace for a JLUR Rubicon if you don't want the tires to stick out more than maybe an inch or just be even with outer fender? Assume 8.5 or 9" wheel. Thanks.
    Hi, shekmark-

    An offset around ET+18mm will be about flush with the fender. Rim width will influence that a bit.

    An 8.5-inch wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.5-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now. A 9-inch wide wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.75-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now.

    If you were to take a tape measure and measure outwards from the front lip of the factory wheel 1.5-inches and 1.75-inches respectively, this will show you where the front lip of the new wheel is going to sit.
    Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
    At The Store: discounttire.com
    To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

    Useful Links:

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch shekmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Manasquan, NJ
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
    Hi, shekmark-

    An offset around ET+18mm will be about flush with the fender. Rim width will influence that a bit.

    An 8.5-inch wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.5-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now. A 9-inch wide wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.75-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now.

    If you were to take a tape measure and measure outwards from the front lip of the factory wheel 1.5-inches and 1.75-inches respectively, this will show you where the front lip of the new wheel is going to sit.
    Great info, thanks!
    I have Synergy 1.75 spacers now and there is a very small sidewall poke.
    2018 Rubicon.
    3.6, auto, Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •