Picking a new set of rims - what backspacing is needed?

Camelot

Okay.
I am progressing, getting the correct lift kit tomorrow and will install this weekend. Time to get tires and rims on order.

I could use some advice on rim sizes.

I have a 2019 JLUR and I am adding a 2” Rancho sport lift.

I plan on Goodrich K02 35/12.5/17.

I like the Fuel Beast rims but what back spacing (or is it offset?) should I pick? I don’t want to use spacers and I don’t want to adjust the steering stops.

Grateful for advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you think you might go bigger or wider in the future, 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend. It's a super common back spacing and it'll clear just about everything. That being said, if you think you'll be sticking with the tire size you have now, 4.5" might be a better way to go as it'll help pull your tires under the fenders and keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting a bit longer. You should still clear what you need with that. Of course, you can always do something in between.

Camelot

If you think you might go bigger or wider in the future, 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend. It's a super common back spacing and it'll clear just about everything. That being said, if you think you'll be sticking with the tire size you have now, 4.5" might be a better way to go as it'll help pull your tires under the fenders and keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting a bit longer. You should still clear what you need with that. Of course, you can always do something in between.

Thanks again Eddie 👍🏻

Camelot

Stupid question #2:
I really like the OEM rims, but assume they are not wide enough for the 35/12.5/17 or are they?

My assumption is that I will need wheel spacers if I go that route and it seems to be a failure point I should avoid

JTCO

Meme King
Stupid question #2:
I really like the OEM rims, but assume they are not wide enough for the 35/12.5/17 or are they?

My assumption is that I will need wheel spacers if I go that route and it seems to be a failure point I should avoid

I believe you will need wheel spacers if running those tires on factory wheels. That's how it was on the JK. I'd assume the JL is very similar.

Discount Tire

Advertiser
Supporter
Okay.
I am progressing, getting the correct lift kit tomorrow and will install this weekend. Time to get tires and rims on order.

I could use some advice on rim sizes.

I have a 2019 JLUR and I am adding a 2” Rancho sport lift.

I plan on Goodrich K02 35/12.5/17.

I like the Fuel Beast rims but what back spacing (or is it offset?) should I pick? I don’t want to use spacers and I don’t want to adjust the steering stops.

Grateful for advice.

Going with a 4.5 inch backspace is very common as mentioned. Please let us know if we can help.

shekmark

Going with a 4.5 inch backspace is very common as mentioned. Please let us know if we can help.

What would be the backspace for a JLUR Rubicon if you don't want the tires to stick out more than maybe an inch or just be even with outer fender? Assume 8.5 or 9" wheel. Thanks.

Discount Tire

Advertiser
Supporter
What would be the backspace for a JLUR Rubicon if you don't want the tires to stick out more than maybe an inch or just be even with outer fender? Assume 8.5 or 9" wheel. Thanks.

Hi, shekmark-

An offset around ET+18mm will be about flush with the fender. Rim width will influence that a bit.

An 8.5-inch wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.5-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now. A 9-inch wide wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.75-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now.

If you were to take a tape measure and measure outwards from the front lip of the factory wheel 1.5-inches and 1.75-inches respectively, this will show you where the front lip of the new wheel is going to sit.

shekmark

Hi, shekmark-

An offset around ET+18mm will be about flush with the fender. Rim width will influence that a bit.

An 8.5-inch wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.5-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now. A 9-inch wide wheel with a +18mm offset is going to sit 1.75-inches outwards when compared to where the factory wheel sits now.

If you were to take a tape measure and measure outwards from the front lip of the factory wheel 1.5-inches and 1.75-inches respectively, this will show you where the front lip of the new wheel is going to sit.
Great info, thanks!
I have Synergy 1.75 spacers now and there is a very small sidewall poke.

Discount Tire

Advertiser
Supporter
Glad you found the information helpful shekmark. If we can be of assistance with you new wheels please let us know.

Last edited: