JL JOURNAL : RUGGED RIDGE AmFib SNORKEL Install - Jeep JL Wrangler/JT Gladiator Truck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As any self-respecting overlander knows, you need a snorkel to complete a good overland build and when Rugged Ridge first debuted their AmFib Snorkel for the Jeep JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator Truck at the 2018 SEMA Show, everyone and their mother wanted to get their hands on one. Why you might ask? Well, unlike most snorkel kits, the AmFib requires no cutting of the hood or of any body panel for that matter and it requires very little modification to get it installed. Also, Rugged Ridge designed the AmFib to be installed in two different configurations, as a Low Mount cowl intake that looks totally factory and as a High Mount intake that gives it a traditional snorkel look that most people are familiar with. In this video, you'll see just how quick and easy it is to get one on your JL Wrangler or JT Gladiator.

Oh, and because I know it's coming, yes, I know what the 3rd rubber fitting under the air box is for. I just had a brain fart :crazyeyes:

BUY a NEW WAYALIFE Hoodie: https://bit.ly/2NkJ5rn

See More Pics of the Rugged Ridge AmFib Snorkel Installed:
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...-JL-Wrangler-JT-Gladiator-Truck-AmFib-SNORKEL

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
• AmFib Low/High Mount Snorkel System #17756.31
• 8, 10mm Socket
• Torx Bit T-20, T-30, T-40
• 4mm Allen Wrench
• 3/8" Wrench
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Phillips Screwdriver
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Drill
• Unibit
• Dremel w/Cutoff Wheel
• Utility Knife
• RTV

TOOLS YOU MAY WANT TO BUY
Milwaukee Drill : https://amzn.to/3a227wz
Milwaukee Ratchet : https://amzn.to/2RaT7MT
Dremel : https://amzn.to/37X3Cdx
Tekton Bit Set : https://bit.ly/2t9gFcY
Unibit : https://amzn.to/37ZZglT

20200112125026-7d367391-me.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Awesome video as always. Great looking product as well, seems well made and love that it's reversible without having to cut anything major (like the hood.). IMHO, also looks cleaner than the mopar/aev style. One note, AEV recommended NOT sealing those holes for the average consumer, as they will allow water to drain on it's own, and for most casual wheelers, unless you're going to park/sit/get stuck under water, they pose no risk remaining open. Sealing it only lets the water drain when you open the valve....so my question/concern is, if you're driving at 75mph from say.....carson city to maine lol, through a downpour, rain will definitely get into the inlet of that snorkel and start to drip down...those drips will amount to a quantity of water. From my experience with a few hydrolocked motors from various friends and acquaintances over the years, it can take less than a shot glass full of water to hydrolock an engine (I've actually seen an engine hydrolocked from a wet filter that got soaked from snow melt dripping onto it overnight, owner had no idea, started the car and boom)....curious to hear your thoughts. Would be interested to know (if you are still running the snorkel)....if you drive through some heavy rain, maybe inspect the bottom of the airbox and see if this concern (pun coming)....holds water. As always, thank you for your work, time, and due diligence providing all this great content.

13_gecko_rubi

Awesome video as always. Great looking product as well, seems well made and love that it's reversible without having to cut anything major (like the hood.). IMHO, also looks cleaner than the mopar/aev style. One note, AEV recommended NOT sealing those holes for the average consumer, as they will allow water to drain on it's own, and for most casual wheelers, unless you're going to park/sit/get stuck under water, they pose no risk remaining open. Sealing it only lets the water drain when you open the valve....so my question/concern is, if you're driving at 75mph from say.....carson city to maine lol, through a downpour, rain will definitely get into the inlet of that snorkel and start to drip down...those drips will amount to a quantity of water. From my experience with a few hydrolocked motors from various friends and acquaintances over the years, it can take less than a shot glass full of water to hydrolock an engine (I've actually seen an engine hydrolocked from a wet filter that got soaked from snow melt dripping onto it overnight, owner had no idea, started the car and boom)....curious to hear your thoughts. Would be interested to know (if you are still running the snorkel)....if you drive through some heavy rain, maybe inspect the bottom of the airbox and see if this concern (pun coming)....holds water. As always, thank you for your work, time, and due diligence providing all this great content.
I'd wonder same and curious as well. I'd probably leave the drain open all the time unless wheeling just for that reason.

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

I'm surprised they have you remove the secondary air inlet. I mean doesn't hurt anything as once u changed that intake to the airbox it was rendered useless anyway. I bet you could have left it like you stated.

Sent via....

CalSgt

Great video as usual :thumb:

And I didn't order a hoodie but did get a few T-shirts coming, I was surprised to see a bunch of swag that isn't on the Wayalife store...

Ski

Once again, you guys make it look so easy. Love your videos, best out there! Keep up the great work and look forward to what else you guys will put out in 2020!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another great video. Something else to add to the list

Thank you. Glad we could be of help to you :)

Great video as usual :thumb:

And I didn't order a hoodie but did get a few T-shirts coming, I was surprised to see a bunch of swag that isn't on the Wayalife store...

LOL - we really do appreciate it. We no longer make shirts as it can cost thousands of dollars to make it worth the while and most of it never sells or in a timely manner. TeeSpring is the outfit that makes shirts and swag for YouTubers and while we don't make much of anything on them, it does allow us to offer shirts to people like you :yup:

Once again, you guys make it look so easy. Love your videos, best out there! Keep up the great work and look forward to what else you guys will put out in 2020!

Thank you. I will say though, this really was an easy install :)

NFRs2000NYC

I'm surprised they have you remove the secondary air inlet. I mean doesn't hurt anything as once u changed that intake to the airbox it was rendered useless anyway. I bet you could have left it like you stated.

Sent via....

Yea I was wondering this as well. Obviously it doesn't get in the way of the stock airbox, I assumed it got in the way of the new piece they provide. :thinking:

NFRs2000NYC

Sent via....

Or even something like washing your jeep, at home or at a wash....you're definitely going to have water getting in there. In my non engineer opinion, it would have been a smarter design to have the drain collect at the base of the snorkel on the cowl, so water can collect in a little well, and drain out of there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As most people who know me well know, I've never really been a fan of snorkels. In fact, I probably wouldn't have installed one at all if it weren't for the fact that this Rugged Ridge one doesn't require any cutting of sheet metal to install. That being said, I am quite familiar with hydrolocked motors and while I have serious doubts that a wet air filter alone could do it, I have seen where a soaked hood insulator did do it. That being said, I personally don't think that plugging the 4 tiny holes will make much if any difference if only because none of them are even located at the lowest of the air box. Not to mention, there's all kinds of deep structural ribbing at the bottom of the box that can hold at least a shot glass of water or more. With all that said, I would be the first to say that plugging the holes probably wasn't necessary, hence, my down playing for the need to have a perfect seal and having talked to Rugged Ridge about it, even they agreed.

Either way, you have peaked my interest and I will be sure to give things a look after driving through some heavy rain. I suspect this would be more a problem with the tall mount but I'll check both ways just for the sake of knowing :yup:

I'd wonder same and curious as well. I'd probably leave the drain open all the time unless wheeling just for that reason.

Sent via....

That makes a lot of sense to me. Close it off ONLY when fording deep water. :yup:

Sent via....

Looking at things after the fact, the drain they have you install would push into it. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason to get rid of it. And, if that's the case, I would say you could leave it, not plug up the holes and not install the drain and all would be good :yup:

KerryG

I have been looking at this snorkal since the first time I saw it. Two questions for you,

1. How did it affect intake noise?
2. Did you get any rattle from the tall snorkel at different speeds?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking at this snorkal since the first time I saw it. Two questions for you,

1. How did it affect intake noise?
2. Did you get any rattle from the tall snorkel at different speeds?

We're testing out the low mount now and honestly, I can't tell any difference what so ever in terms of sound. I'll have to get back to you on the high mount.

JLRay

Awesome video! [emoji106] It’s nice that they make a low and high option with their snorkels that way you can always change things up if you ever get tired of one look.

Camelot

Damn!
I did not know I wanted a snorkel but now I want one!

Nice video!!

Probably a stupid question but what happens when you drive 6 hours in a downpour at highway speed? Does not the snorkel fill up the air filter box with water? I realize there is a manual drain…

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
excellent video as always

Thank you :)

Awesome video! [emoji106] It’s nice that they make a low and high option with their snorkels that way you can always change things up if you ever get tired of one look.

Thanks and yeah, it really is cool to have the option to go either way.

Damn!
I did not know I wanted a snorkel but now I want one!

Nice video!!

Probably a stupid question but what happens when you drive 6 hours in a downpour at highway speed? Does not the snorkel fill up the air filter box with water? I realize there is a manual drain…

I seriously doubt it. But, as has been mentioned, if you're worried about it, leave the drain open all the time and ONLY close it when crossing deep water.