Aux/ESS Battery Replacement

tmaz

I've had my '18 JLU Sport S for about two years now and I think my Aux/ESS battery is on it's way out. The dealer want's $133 for the replacement here in AZ. Is there a better aftermarket battery that I can get instead (short of switching to the dual battery set up for $1k)? I'm generally not a fan of factory batteries but this is our first Jeep. I can't seem to find an aftermarket one that matches, or even a great description of the one that's in there now dimension wise (12v, 12ah I believe)? Any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

JTCO

Meme King
I've had my '18 JLU Sport S for about two years now and I think my Aux/ESS battery is on it's way out. The dealer want's $133 for the replacement here in AZ. Is there a better aftermarket battery that I can get instead (short of switching to the dual battery set up for $1k)? I'm generally not a fan of factory batteries but this is our first Jeep. I can't seem to find an aftermarket one that matches, or even a great description of the one that's in there now dimension wise (12v, 12ah I believe)? Any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Are you out of warranty?

tmaz

I am out of warranty. My JL has about 43k on it, even though only two years old. It’s just too much fun not to to drive it everywhere we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am out of warranty. My JL has about 43k on it, even though only two years old. It’s just too much fun not to to drive it everywhere we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL - I'm at almost 45k. I totally know the feeling :)

ncb

IMG_1971.jpgIMG_1972.jpg

A couple options, but not much cheaper. It’s a bit of a PITA to change. Have to unplug and remove the fuse block. Be careful with the connectors.

I thought I had the small battery going out, but it was the main battery just needed a charge after sitting for a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

tmaz

Thanks for these! I had seen them as well, but the terminals looked different for some reason, and due to the pain it is to remove I didn't want to risk it if they hadn't been verified. I'd rather go this route as the have three year warranty's, and in AZ batteries rarely seem to make it past two years.

My Jeep never sits for more than a day or two (usually over the weekend if anything). I've tried hooking the battery up to a trickle charger, and it doesn't seem to help much. When I isolate the aux battery and trickle charge that, my ESS comes back (briefly), as well as my remote start, however neither stay because it doesn't seem to hold a charge. The main battery continues to hold a charge and perform without issue. I'm not as worried about the ESS right now as I turn it off when I drive usually, but the remote start is nice on cold mornings, and the AUX battery seems to also be tied to that capability.

JTCO

Meme King
I'd rather go this route as they have three year warranty's, and in AZ batteries rarely seem to make it past two years.

I worked in multiple shops in Arizona. This is a very accurate statement. Seems like even the best batteries average a two year lifespan.