JT Gladiator Rear wheel studs longer than front?

JTCO

Meme King
It appears the Gladiator has longer wheel studs on the rear compared to the front. I didn't realize until I had torqued the wheels that the rear wheel studs popped out through the lug nuts. I didn't even feel a difference; it was just something that I saw when I was done. Basically the cosmetic capping on the end of the lug nuts broke off. But the front was fine. However, EVERY rear one broke. They're on tight and safe, but I still am going to fix it right. Luckily, I purchased them at Discount Tire and when I showed them what happened, they ordered me a set of longer ones at no charge with no questions asked. Just passing this info along.

DSC06160.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this. Good thing you just had caps instead of solid lug nuts. That could have been bad if you tightened everything down and the top of the studs prevented the nuts from fully seating.

StingRubi19

Well that seems odd. I usually get them key lock lug nuts when I put new wheels on. Now I gotta get 2 different sizes? I cant remember what the brand those lug nuts were that I had. They were on my JK and haven't bought some since 2014. I'll have to search and see if I can find them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
. Now I gotta get 2 different sizes? I cant remember what the brand those lug nuts were that I had. They were on my JK and haven't bought some since 2014. I'll have to search and see if I can find them.

No need for different sizes. The studs on front and rear are all 14mm x 1.5 as far as the threads. Just make sure your lug nuts are long enough that they won't bottom out in the rear and they'll fit both front and rear. So basically, Discount Tire just gave me a free set of long ones for all four wheels since the shorter set got damaged in the rear.

JTCO

Meme King
Well that seems odd. I usually get them key lock lug nuts when I put new wheels on. Now I gotta get 2 different sizes? I cant remember what the brand those lug nuts were that I had. They were on my JK and haven't bought some since 2014. I'll have to search and see if I can find them.

Just for a visual reference:

DSC06162.JPG