Need a tip on installing JL Swag Windshield Decal

SRQgunner

My first attempt at installing the JL Swag windshield decal didn’t go so well. Eddies video made it look easy [emoji41]

Just ordered a second one. Any tips on applying the windshield decal?

Vehicle was sitting in warm sun 72 degrees. When peeling the backing off slowly it would fray. Then I would need to use painters tape to grip the frayed part and continue the process. Then some of the letting started to come off the backing! Which ended up with an uneven application and some broken letters [emoji18]

Nonetheless this is a cool looking decal that I will attempt again!

IMG_1184.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ddays v2

Get it out of the direct sunlight and in the shade. Apply some kind of medium on the windshield - like water mixed with very little dish soap - that will allow you to move the sticker around a little.
Once you have it in place hold it there and squeegee the water out from the sticker. Don't try to peel it off just yet - let it dry out for a couple hours and then peel it off slowly. If the sticker pulls off
of the windshield some just put back in place with your finger and keep working the backing off slowly until its completely off.

Here's a old post on this subject I made a few years ago on Wayalife. You can ignore the waxpaper part since the sticker you're mounting has a backing on it already.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/31648-Best-way-to-install-wrinkle-and-bubble-free-stickers

Last edited:

SRQgunner

Thanks. So this will work even if the decal has a sticky backing its okay to lube it up?

I was trying to peel the backing off as I applied the decal. I made it much harder than it should be

Last edited:

ddays v2

Thanks. So this will work even if the decal has a sticky backing its okay to lube it up?

I was trying to peel the backing off as I applied the decal. I made it much harder than it should be

Yup - when you squeegee the majority of the solution out and the rest evaporates from behind the sticker the adhesive takes over. Makes the job way easier. :thumb:

CalSgt

Yup... Thats the industry standard for applying vinyl (and window tint). You just need a drop or two of dish soap in a whole spray bottle of water. I use a Bondo squeegee or a credit card to push all of the water and air bulbs out.

SRQgunner

Yup... Thats the industry standard for applying vinyl (and window tint). You just need a drop or two of dish soap in a whole spray bottle of water. I use a Bondo squeegee or a credit card to push all of the water and air bulbs out.

Well i certainly appreciate the advice. I should have known but oh well. Can’t wait to get the new decal and do it properly. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Brandiland

Actually I NEVER use soap. It will eventually break down your decal. I apply vehicle decals for a living. To each their own, but your decal will break down faster if you soap it. Dry application is the absolute best way. It should be applied in 2 sections.
Again, to each their own. I'm just telling you. Window tent is different. It doesn't break down like decal vinyl.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Napalm

I had a buddy install my WAYALIFE decal recently and he did it by separating each letter. We measured and found the center of the windshield decal and then measured the windshield and found the center point and lined them up. I am not sure you could do this because of the way the JLWRANGLER sticker is, but I figured I’d give my two cents.
IMG_2608.jpg

OJK12

Actually I NEVER use soap. It will eventually break down your decal. I apply vehicle decals for a living. To each their own, but your decal will break down faster if you soap it. Dry application is the absolute best way. It should be applied in 2 sections.
Again, to each their own. I'm just telling you. Window tent is different. It doesn't break down like decal vinyl.

Agreed, I don’t install decals for a living but a friend of mine does and I’ve always installed the decals dry the way he does, in two sections rather than all at once. You get the decal exactly where you want it and then using masking tape, tape one half of the decal down really well so it can’t move then take the other half and remove the backing up to where you have the half taped down and cut the backing in half and then apply that half of the decal. Once its down then do the other half. Ive always had 100% success with this method.

ddays v2

:rolleyes2: Can't say I'm a professional sticker installer but all of the hundreds of stickers I've installed over the years managed to stay stuck and not break down. To each their own, but applying some kind of solution helps to install them so as to not end up with bubbles and wrinkles.

These ones have been on for five years and seem to be doing ok :idontknow:

20200201_191409_resized[9050].jpg

20200201_191423_resized[9049].jpg

Brandiland

I guess I shouldn't have bothered saying anything. Decals look great
:rolleyes2: Can't say I'm a professional sticker installer but all of the hundreds of stickers I've installed over the years managed to stay stuck and not break down. To each their own, but applying some kind of solution helps to install them so as to not end up with bubbles and wrinkles.

These ones have been on for five years and seem to be doing ok :idontknow:

View attachment 14936

View attachment 14937