Activating ARB from Rubicon factory switches?

tlancaster

Hi All,
I am putting F and R Currie RockJocks in my 2020 JL Rubicon. I will be running ARB lockers. Has anybody figured out how to utilize the factory Rubicon e-locker switch to engage the air lockers? I believe this is a CAN bus system and wont just wire straight up and work without modification. Is there a combo of resistors / diodes that would fool the can bus system to allow a relay to activate?

Has Z automotive or any other programmer company resolved this?

Thanks...
Tim

CalSgt

I almost answered this wrong... I thought you were asking about the factory auxiliary switches.

I have no idea how to do what you are asking but I'll bet its not possible without totally bypassing the factory ECM & use the factory buttons to activate switches/relays mounted elsewhere in the jeep... I'm confident in my abilities with this kind of stuff but don't feel the amount of complication it would add to a simple air locker system (switch/relay/solenoid) is worth it.

chairborne33

Also interested in this

I'm curious what it'd take to make this work. I would like to keep it nice and clean looking in the dash and using the factory installed switch would be nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing available at this time that will allow you to make the factory Rubicon locker switches activate aftermarket lockers.

Spack

If you really wanted the factory buttons to work, could you buy the aftermarket buttons, remove the stock and but in the am buttons, then be able to wire it up like you want? I don’t have any knowledge in this, just trying to help problem solve.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Not really. It’s why it was never done in the JK. It’s too tied into the electrical system to make it work. They are not just a rocker switch. There is more to it.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not really. It’s why it was never done in the JK. It’s too tied into the electrical system to make it work. They are not just a rocker switch. There is more to it.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

This ^^^^. The lockers on the JL need to talk to the computer. It's not a simple on/off switch.

13_gecko_rubi

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing available at this time that will allow you to make the factory Rubicon locker switches activate aftermarket lockers.
Joe has prototypes being tested now. He figured it how but wants to make sure it's good before offering it. Wasn't easy

Sent via....

MrGiant

Really cool thing to go into and figure out! Cant wait to hear if it works

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

NFRs2000NYC

The way to make it work would be the same way turbo guys used to put an "in between" module between the o2 sensor and the ECU....to make it think that a certain condition is met. When you press the locker switch, the signal is sent to the ECU which then asks the locker & transfer case if certain conditions are met....with an aftermarket locker, the answer is always no....so you'd need a module to fool the ECU into thinking that those conditions ARE met....only downside, if this module is built without safeguards, you'd be able to engage your lockers doing 90mph on the freeway, but Im sure it will be be hacked soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The way to make it work would be the same way turbo guys used to put an "in between" module between the o2 sensor and the ECU....to make it think that a certain condition is met. When you press the locker switch, the signal is sent to the ECU which then asks the locker & transfer case if certain conditions are met....with an aftermarket locker, the answer is always no....so you'd need a module to fool the ECU into thinking that those conditions ARE met....only downside, if this module is built without safeguards, you'd be able to engage your lockers doing 90mph on the freeway, but Im sure it will be be hacked soon.

Sounds like Z Automotive already has it hacked and working on prototypes now. :thumb:

tlancaster

Z Auto

I can confirm that Z automotive makes them. My local shop just got done installing them on my Currie 60 / 70's w/ ARB and they work great.

My local shop (Varozza 4x4) also came out with a kit that allows you to run a ARB twin under the hood. It eliminates the factory windshield washer fluid bottle and uses a smaller one in a re-located location. Its super trick and looks / works great. The DV8 under hood would not work with the EVO coil over mounts. I Will try to post a few pics later today.

FL RUBI

I can confirm that Z automotive makes them. My local shop just got done installing them on my Currie 60 / 70's w/ ARB and they work great.

My local shop (Varozza 4x4) also came out with a kit that allows you to run a ARB twin under the hood. It eliminates the factory windshield washer fluid bottle and uses a smaller one in a re-located location. Its super trick and looks / works great. The DV8 under hood would not work with the EVO coil over mounts. I Will try to post a few pics later today.
HI
could you post picture of twin comp. bracket under the hood please? Also a link where to buy it?
Thank you

tlancaster

Under hood ARB twin kit

Here is a pic of the under hood ARB twin kit from Varozza 4x4. He plumbed in a fitting for airing up tires, etc... as well.
you will need to call the shop to order the kit.
https://www.varozza4x4.com/

The Z locker controller is available with a password only at this point in time. You will need to contact them directly.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product-category/accessories/page/2/

oh and make sure you are running the latest version of the Taser firmware. You will need updated firmware for this to all work well...

Attachments

• Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

FL RUBI

Here is a pic of the under hood ARB twin kit from Varozza 4x4. He plumbed in a fitting for airing up tires, etc... as well.
you will need to call the shop to order the kit.
https://www.varozza4x4.com/

The Z locker controller is available with a password only at this point in time. You will need to contact them directly.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product-category/accessories/page/2/

oh and make sure you are running the latest version on the Taser firmware. You will need updated firmware for this to all work well...

nice, thank you