Snatch Block and Winch Shackle Recomendations

JTCO

Meme King
What happened to your hook? I have a Warn hook that came with my winch and it's been used many times with no issues.

I have a Warn snatch block as well and have only had to use it once to help someone out but couldn't have done with out it based on the location we were in. I think it was about 50 bucks.

1028171148.jpg

1028171159.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with JTCO, I love my WARN Hook as it's fast and easy to use. I have an old ARB snatch block and have been using it for maybe the last 20 years.

Lazer87

Thanks for the advice. I will look at those snatch blocks. But you see the thing. When I was at that recovery class, they had me take off the hook because they recommended not using it with the soft shackle they were using. They were telling us to get a winch shackle to replace the hook for future. Their opinion, So when I went home and was cleaning my jeep. I grabbed the hook and was like, well don't need this anymore. My neighbors kid was standing out front she's like 8. I asked her if she wanted the hook kinda joking and she got really excited and ran over to her house and asked her dad if she could spray paint it pink. So ya no hook anymore. Lol Just looked though 14$ on amazon to get a new hook or 60$ Warn makes a 12000# epic hook.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I will look at those snatch blocks. But you see the thing. When I was at that recovery class, they had me take off the hook because they recommended not using it with the soft shackle they were using. They were telling us to get a winch shackle to replace the hook for future. Their opinion, So when I went home and was cleaning my jeep. I grabbed the hook and was like, well don't need this anymore. My neighbors kid was standing out front she's like 8. I asked her if she wanted the hook kinda joking and she got really excited and ran over to her house and asked her dad if she could spray paint it pink. So ya no hook anymore. Lol Just looked though 14$ on amazon to get a new hook or 60$ Warn makes a 12000# epic hook.

LOL - great story. To me, that's the problem with classes like that. Not that they don't offer good information to people who are new to Jeeps, they just tend to spout off information that's based on what's trendy or what they've been given by sponsors. And hey, maybe they're right and maybe I'm wrong but all I can go off of is my limited experience doing this Jeep thing and really, I know it's not all that much.

Lazer87

The guy that was teaching us, he was not telling us we had to replace our hook. He was like, I have both of a lot of equipment metal stuff for years and new aluminum stuff that's much lighter and equally good. But how much money can you spend end of the day. But your right all my years of rigging structural steel, good old metal stuff always worked great for years and years. Even all my rappelling gear is metal because aluminum wears down and you have to replace it. Aluminum is great but you have to take better care of and watch it more.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The guy that was teaching us, he was not telling us we had to replace our hook. He was like, I have both of a lot of equipment metal stuff for years and new aluminum stuff that's much lighter and equally good. But how much money can you spend end of the day. But your right all my years of rigging structural steel, good old metal stuff always worked great for years and years. Even all my rappelling gear is metal because aluminum wears down and you have to replace it. Aluminum is great but you have to take better care of and watch it more.

The whole weight thing that people are so worried about nowadays is mind boggling to me. I just looked it up, a smittybilt aluminum winch shackle weighs 2.75 pounds, the warm epic steel hook weighs 2.86 pounds. A big cast steel 18k pound capacity hook weighs 3.2 pounds. That’s at most, .45 pounds.

I’ve taken a shit that weighs more than that.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
.... new aluminum stuff that's much lighter and equally good.....

The whole weight thing that people are so worried about nowadays is mind boggling to me. I just looked it up, a smittybilt aluminum winch shackle weighs 2.75 pounds, the warm epic steel hook weighs 2.86 pounds. A big cast steel 18k pound capacity hook weighs 3.2 pounds. That’s at most, .45 pounds.

I’ve taken a shit that weighs more than that.

I seriously never knew people cared about weight in regards to a fucking winch hook. I've always just looked at quality and safety. I could really care less what a winch hook weighs.