Lift decision

Phil3333

I live in Utah and like to play on the rocks but my jeep is also a DD,I have narrowed it down to a Metalcloak 3.5" GC and a Rockrawler 3.5" xfactor the plan is to pair with 37" tires looking for feedback on those who have similar setup.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Didn't realize either of those companies were still around :idontknow:

Hopfully someone has some experience with them though.

DMF

I had RK control arms on my old JK. It was decent at best considering they are less expensive then other brands that had Johnny Joints. The thing I hated with the RK joint was a couple of times some joints would unscrew on the side and the ball would pop out. It was easy to fix but still a hassle.

Phil3333

I had RK control arms on my old JK. It was decent at best considering they are less expensive then other brands that had Johnny Joints. The thing I hated with the RK joint was a couple of times some joints would unscrew on the side and the ball would pop out. It was easy to fix but still a hassle.
Thanks good info

ddays v2

If you're gonna change factory arms out do yourself a favor and do it once. Personally I'd only consider a kit that has the Johnnie Joints for the arm ends. EVO/Currie etc.
I ran a Rubicon Express to start with 6 years ago on my JK :)icon_crazy:) then went to RK, and ended up with an EVO LA kit. Reason shown below.

Johnny Joint vs RK ends. Your money - spend wisely

Arms 6.jpg

Arms 7.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're gonna change factory arms out do yourself a favor and do it once. Personally I'd only consider a kit that has the Johnnie Joints for the arm ends. EVO/Currie etc.
I ran a Rubicon Express to start with 6 years ago on my JK :)icon_crazy:) then went to RK, and ended up with an EVO LA kit. Reason shown below.

View attachment 14610

View attachment 14611

That speaks volumes right there. :thumb:

Phil3333

View attachment 14610

View attachment 14611
That is some good info thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok are you suggesting there is no quality difference between a 600 dollar lift that don't include control arms and other suspension geometry correction parts and a full suspension upgrade costing $3000?

Are you suggesting that cost is the only factor that determines quality?

Since you are unaware, in addition to their very affordable 2" Sport lift, Rancho does also make a 3.5" lift kit and it comes complete with adjustable control arms, track bar, etc and they even come with dual durometer bushings, just like what Synergy uses. From what I have personally seen, they're way nicer than what RK or Metalcloak uses too. But then, that's just me.

JTCO

Meme King
Ok are you suggesting there is no quality difference between a 600 dollar lift that don't include control arms and other suspension geometry correction parts and a full suspension upgrade costing $3000?

I don't know which kit you're referring to in regards to the 3000 dollar price tag, but I will let you know this: I don't know a single person that has run a Metalcloak lift that hasn't switched it out for something better down the road. I honestly didn't realize they were still in business. If they're the ones putting a 3000 dollar price on their lift, it better come with 2 ounces of solid gold or a really good blowjob. :twocents:

Phil3333

Are you suggesting that cost is the only factor that determines quality?

Since you are unaware, in addition to their very affordable 2" Sport lift, Rancho does also make a 3.5" lift kit and it comes complete with adjustable control arms, track bar, etc and they even come with dual durometer bushings, just like what Synergy uses. From what I have personally seen, they're way nicer than what RK or Metalcloak uses too. But then, that's just me.
That's good info thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's good info thanks

You bet. I should note that EVO and Currie are good options to look at as well and both use Johnny Joints. As mentioned before, Synergy is worth a look too. I've started running all their steering components and have found them to be made extremely well and can take the abuse I throw at them.

truckpete

I own a RK 2.5” lift(lift laws in my State are pretty strict).. and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t buy it again. Save up and buy something with Johnny Joints. I have about 11k miles on my RK joints and they are already developing clunks.. not confidence inspiring at all. I bought this kit because I got a deal on it.. and already wish I had waited and gotten EVO/Currie.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Phil3333

I own a RK 2.5” lift(lift laws in my State are pretty strict).. and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t buy it again. Save up and buy something with Johnny Joints. I have about 11k miles on my RK joints and they are already developing clunks.. not confidence inspiring at all. I bought this kit because I got a deal on it.. and already wish I had waited and gotten EVO/Currie.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
This is the feedback I was hoping to get thanks, after checking on some of the lifts suggestions I am leaning towards Currie.