Push to start

JLjeepster

I have a 2018 Rubicon JL unlimited. My push to start has been acting up lately. It hasn't been working on the first push. It sounds like it wants to turn on but I have to push it a second time for the Jeep to turn on. Anyone else experience this before?

ddays v2

I have a 2018 Rubicon JL unlimited. My push to start has been acting up lately. It hasn't been working on the first push. It sounds like it wants to turn on but I have to push it a second time for the Jeep to turn on. Anyone else experience this before?

Not specifically in my JL, but this happens in my Durango occasionally. I've just been putting up with it since it has 260,000 miles in it.
Your JL should still be under warranty though?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It wants to turn on as in, it cranks? Or, as in things power up but nothing with the engine happens?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, have you tried starting the engine using the FOB? As in, you push the button with the FOB.

Eddie may be referring to what I am about to say...but I don't know for sure.

It has been getting cold here so I normally have FOB in house so I can start and warm up Jeep before I go out. This morning it was in the teens and of course, I left FOB in Jeep last night. I pushed brake and Start button and display kept saying FOB outside of vehicle. Finally I used button on FOB and it started. Than pushed brake and push button and everything normal. Me thinks I have to keep FOB above freezing for it to be recognized by Jeep.

Posithonas

Not sure if it works the same with jeeps but I know my previous car (Mini Cooper) if I left the fob in the car it would drain the battery of the fob and mess up the connection with the car. I’ve since learned to not leave the fob anywhere near the car. For example if you park in a garage, bring the fob in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

I'm also going to assume I know what Eddie is referring to...

These push to start vehicles have a fail safe for when the battery in the fob gets low, with the wrangler you use the fob to physically press the start button in the jeep

With my wifes yukon you put the fob into a slot inside the console if the fob batteries are low.

SouthCo

Yes the FOB works perfectly well

That most likely indicates the FOB battery is low as stated by others and why Eddie was asking.

I saw a video where the battery was completely removed from the FOB and the JL would start by pushing the start button with the FOB.

JLjeepster

On top of the push to start issue this started yesterday and hasn’t gone away

Attachments

• 7F6D8645-A5B2-4388-B8AE-8D5916DA109C.jpg
    7F6D8645-A5B2-4388-B8AE-8D5916DA109C.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 116

JLjeepster

I unmarried the tazer JL drove couple hundred miles let the system cycle a few times to return to normal and all my warnings and problems are gone 🤔

tmaz

I've been having this same problem, however it's also been tied in with ESS issues. I'm about 99% sure it's my AUX battery not holding a proper charge (when I trickle charge it, the problem goes away). First push does nothing, remote start doesn't work, but the second push starts up just fine and vehicle runs without issue (minus the red light). If you take it to the dealership I'd be very curious to hear the outcome. I'll be changing my aux battery this weekend as I don't want another factory battery and i'm outside of warranty. My mileage is around 43k, also a 2018 JLU.