How low is too low?

JLjeepster

I have 37 inch tires 17 inch wheels. They are NOT beadlocks. I usually air down around 15psi. Was wondering how low is safe to go.

JTCO

Meme King
I have 37 inch tires 17 inch wheels. They are NOT beadlocks. I usually air down around 15psi. Was wondering how low is safe to go.

I think 15-20 is a good number. I mistakenly went down to 11 psi once on a non-beadlock wheel on a trail with many rocks and still had no issues. Personally for me, running Cooper STT Pros, I stay around 20 psi now because they grip the rocks so well. No need to air down more than that IMO for the type of tires I'm running.

Remmy

We frequently run 11-12 psi sometimes as low as 10 if desperate. Haven't had an issue in our group yet. With that said, I like to stay around 15 when conditions permit.

A buddy of mine dropped to 6-8 last week (just pushing the limits) and lost a bead after breaking through the ice in a mud hole.

We frequently run 11-12 psi sometimes as low as 10 if desperate. Haven't had an issue in our group yet. With that said, I like to stay around 15 when conditions permit.

A buddy of mine dropped to 6-8 last week (just pushing the limits) and lost a bead after breaking through the ice in a mud hole.

^this... I run around the same on the trail consistently. 11-12psi. Have gone down to 8 but did not see a gain in traction. Only thing myself and trail buddy have experienced is sometimes with the real low pressures, when the tire flexes while turning on a rock, sometimes pebbles will actually get in between the rim and bead and cause a slow leak. In which case we just remove wheel, break the bead and clean the pebbles out while on trail and reseat.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have gone as low as 12 without beadlocks and I now go down to 8 with beadlocks. I get a little more traction at 8 in the wet rocks and mud

I think you are in the ball park. I also think @Remmy hit on something really important in that it depends on if you're out there on your own or with a group. Having support allows you to be a bit "extra" bold and search for that extra grip. If you get in trouble you have people watching your back and helping you out of tough situations. You are always stronger in a pack.

But, you're really at that sweet spot at around 15lbs of pressure with a 37" tire. I run around 12lbs. But I think 15lbs is easier to see on an alalog tire gauge. So if you are using analog then set pressures to 15lbs. If you are using digital and can get precise then run 12lbs.