Thread: How low is too low?

How low is too low?

I have 37 inch tires 17 inch wheels. They are NOT beadlocks. I usually air down around 15psi. Was wondering how low is safe to go.

15-18 is good for non beadlock wheels

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JLjeepster View Post
    I have 37 inch tires 17 inch wheels. They are NOT beadlocks. I usually air down around 15psi. Was wondering how low is safe to go.
    I think 15-20 is a good number. I mistakenly went down to 11 psi once on a non-beadlock wheel on a trail with many rocks and still had no issues. Personally for me, running Cooper STT Pros, I stay around 20 psi now because they grip the rocks so well. No need to air down more than that IMO for the type of tires I'm running.

Caught the Bug
    Used to run 12-15. Popped a bead only once. Was sliding downhill and landed on one tire. Quick ratchet strap and compressor was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I usually run 12 in my non beadlock wheels, and never lost a bead.
    His: 2015 JKUR

Hers: 2018 JLUR

Fresh Catch
    We frequently run 11-12 psi sometimes as low as 10 if desperate. Haven't had an issue in our group yet. With that said, I like to stay around 15 when conditions permit.

A buddy of mine dropped to 6-8 last week (just pushing the limits) and lost a bead after breaking through the ice in a mud hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
    We frequently run 11-12 psi sometimes as low as 10 if desperate. Haven't had an issue in our group yet. With that said, I like to stay around 15 when conditions permit.

A buddy of mine dropped to 6-8 last week (just pushing the limits) and lost a bead after breaking through the ice in a mud hole.
    ^this... I run around the same on the trail consistently. 11-12psi. Have gone down to 8 but did not see a gain in traction. Only thing myself and trail buddy have experienced is sometimes with the real low pressures, when the tire flexes while turning on a rock, sometimes pebbles will actually get in between the rim and bead and cause a slow leak. In which case we just remove wheel, break the bead and clean the pebbles out while on trail and reseat.

I have gone as low as 12 without beadlocks and I now go down to 8 with beadlocks. I get a little more traction at 8 in the wet rocks and mud

Quote Originally Posted by JLjeepster View Post
    How low is too low?