Rancho 2" Sport Suspension Lift Kit with RS5000X Shocks Experience

Camelot

I am considering the above loft kit for my 19 JLUR. Not looking to do any rock climbing but I plan on doing On and off road. Probably 80/20.

I live in MI so local off road but I am also heading to Ouray, CO for two weeks next summer to ride all the trails and passes there. (Did it on my BMW GSA last year and loved the roads)

I know that a few here have used this kit but I also believe some have upgraded from here.

So on short should I consider this or is it to low end? It is certainly cheap coming in under $700.00?

Great full for advice.

Last edited:

Camelot

Thanks.
Not sure if I dare to go with the adjustable shocks here in MI. I am concerned the road salt will seize up the adjustments

I have this with the 9000 shocks and got about 3” out of it. I love the ride and it flex’s good. I do have a Rubicon though

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

You sound like you’re in a similar boat to me: let’s have fun, nothing too crazy, and avoid the maintenance that comes with hardcore pro parts. Also, I’m from upstate NY I know the salt. Run the 5000 shocks for a year & upgrade if you really need to. If they rust out they’re $50 a piece.

Camelot

Eddie.
When you installed the 2” kit did you use the geometry relocation kit?

Also, when you installed the kit your jeep was on a lift, having installed it would you say it’s possible to install it with a floor jack and jack stands?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie.
When you installed the 2” kit did you use the geometry relocation kit?

Also, when you installed the kit your jeep was on a lift, having installed it would you say it’s possible to install it with a floor jack and jack stands?

Nope, did not install the drop brackets and you can totally do this with just jack stands. I have a host of write-ups that highlight just that on a JK here:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/29935-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Write-Up-Index

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie.
Mine is a JLUR but I assume it’s almost the same.

This will be my Christmas project!

With the exception of the lift I used, everything about the install will be same only with jack stands on the frame rails.

Neohiofan

I installed the same lift on my wife’s 17 JKU. It is a great starter lift. I hung the shocks from the garage rafters and sprayed them with clear coat. They lasted awhile before the clear wore off and started getting eaten up by salt. The RS9000xl adjustable knobs froze up. You can get replacement knobs free from rancho. 2.5 years in though it rides really rough now. Time to replace springs.
I just put the dynatrac 2” lift on my Jeep earlier this year and for the extra $600 I recommend going with that lift over Rancho. Fix shocks ride so much better. But if budget is the sticking point then go with the Rancho lift. It is a great starter lift for the money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the same lift on my wife’s 17 JKU. It is a great starter lift. I hung the shocks from the garage rafters and sprayed them with clear coat. They lasted awhile before the clear wore off and started getting eaten up by salt. The RS9000xl adjustable knobs froze up. You can get replacement knobs free from rancho. 2.5 years in though it rides really rough now. Time to replace springs.
I just put the dynatrac 2” lift on my Jeep earlier this year and for the extra $600 I recommend going with that lift over Rancho. Fix shocks ride so much better. But if budget is the sticking point then go with the Rancho lift. It is a great starter lift for the money.

Ride quality is 100% subjective but honestly, I thought the Rancho Sport lift had a nicer all around ride than the Dynatrac lift. Sure, the Fox shocks held up better jamming across the desert but for day to day driving, I thought it felt kind of stiff. Also, if you're gonna run 37's, the Dynatrac lift only yielded me something like 1.8" of lift where as the Rancho kit yielded a solid 2.5". That made clearing 37's so much easier. Also, loaded up, the Rancho coils did a much better job of maintaining a taller stance where as the Dynatrac coils sagged out enough that I was left with about an inch of lift. But again, that's just me.