Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Filter Recommendations

Fresh Catch

Air Filter Recommendations

For someone that does off-roading, and during the summer it can get pretty dusty. Is there a better option for an air filter other than the OEM?

IMHO...Nope. Whatever you do stay away from K&N. They actually pass more dirt than OEM filters.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDJL69 View Post
    IMHO...Nope. Whatever you do stay away from K&N. They actually pass more dirt than OEM filters.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    An oiled filter passes more dirt? Do you have any links to the info? I would like to read up on it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris Pro View Post
    An oiled filter passes more dirt? Do you have any links to the info? I would like to read up on it. Thanks

Skip all the blah blah blah pointy head shit & start at the conclusion on page 7 of this doc: https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com/...qa&type=client

I'd stick with the OEM, just carry a spare. Also there are potential warranty issues if you use an aftermarket filter and/or CAI, even a dealer installed Mopar CAI.
    2014 JKU Money Pit on 37's
    2019 JLUR on 35's (so far)

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    I'd stick with the OEM, just carry a spare. Also there are potential warranty issues if you use an aftermarket filter and/or CAI, even a dealer installed Mopar CAI.
    Yeah, I am not interested in a CAI, I don't need more intake noise with no real benefit. If I wanted a CAI, I would go for the new Rugged Ridge snorkel. I was concerned about an oiled filter getting gummed up with dust easier than the OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    Skip all the blah blah blah pointy head shit & start at the conclusion on page 7 of this doc: https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com/...qa&type=client

Thanks. Interesting. It sounds like performance is better with K&N, but I wish they tested how long it took to clog (OEM vs K&N). A K&N made a huge improvement on my supercharged Grand Prix, but I also cleaned and recharged it when it looked dirty. Guess it just shows that aftermarket may not always be worth the cost.

I used to spend quite a bit of time on another forum to get information about my 1999 TJ. There were many threads in particular about K&N performance claims and they all resulted in K&N NOT filtering as well as OEM filters. I can’t speak to any other aftermarket air filter products. I, too, was under the impression that impregnating a filter with oil would trap more dirt. To the contrary, it resulted in the opposite occurring. K&N may work on a supercharged Grand Prix, but I doubt you’re taking that offroad on hot, dusty trails. So there may be some added benefit to street vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KerryG View Post
    Yeah, I am not interested in a CAI, I don't need more intake noise with no real benefit. If I wanted a CAI, I would go for the new Rugged Ridge snorkel. I was concerned about an oiled filter getting gummed up with dust easier than the OEM.
    Point being that not using OEM could lead to warranty issues
    2014 JKU Money Pit on 37's
    2019 JLUR on 35's (so far)

Caught the Bug
    Just changed mine...another oem filter.

Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    I used to work for Advanced Auto Parts. There’s like 2-3 company’s that make all the air filters in China. Buy the nice store brand one & you’re basically getting the best. The difference is all brand marketing.

Tenneco is the biggest now that they bought Federal-Mogul. Click here & you can see they’re the OEM for FCA & a supplier for Advance & Oreilly’s. So it’s all the same stuff basically.

https://www.tenneco.com/original_equ...oem_customers/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast