Air Filter Recommendations

KerryG

For someone that does off-roading, and during the summer it can get pretty dusty. Is there a better option for an air filter other than the OEM?

ddays v2

An oiled filter passes more dirt? Do you have any links to the info? I would like to read up on it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip all the blah blah blah pointy head shit & start at the conclusion on page 7 of this doc: https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com...4a382644842a211-c914da23bad6gxrqa&type=client

I'd stick with the OEM, just carry a spare. Also there are potential warranty issues if you use an aftermarket filter and/or CAI, even a dealer installed Mopar CAI.

KerryG

I'd stick with the OEM, just carry a spare. Also there are potential warranty issues if you use an aftermarket filter and/or CAI, even a dealer installed Mopar CAI.

Yeah, I am not interested in a CAI, I don't need more intake noise with no real benefit. If I wanted a CAI, I would go for the new Rugged Ridge snorkel. I was concerned about an oiled filter getting gummed up with dust easier than the OEM.

Polaris Pro

Skip all the blah blah blah pointy head shit & start at the conclusion on page 7 of this doc: https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com...4a382644842a211-c914da23bad6gxrqa&type=client

Thanks. Interesting. It sounds like performance is better with K&N, but I wish they tested how long it took to clog (OEM vs K&N). A K&N made a huge improvement on my supercharged Grand Prix, but I also cleaned and recharged it when it looked dirty. Guess it just shows that aftermarket may not always be worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidDJL69

I used to spend quite a bit of time on another forum to get information about my 1999 TJ. There were many threads in particular about K&N performance claims and they all resulted in K&N NOT filtering as well as OEM filters. I can’t speak to any other aftermarket air filter products. I, too, was under the impression that impregnating a filter with oil would trap more dirt. To the contrary, it resulted in the opposite occurring. K&N may work on a supercharged Grand Prix, but I doubt you’re taking that offroad on hot, dusty trails. So there may be some added benefit to street vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ddays v2

Yeah, I am not interested in a CAI, I don't need more intake noise with no real benefit. If I wanted a CAI, I would go for the new Rugged Ridge snorkel. I was concerned about an oiled filter getting gummed up with dust easier than the OEM.

Point being that not using OEM could lead to warranty issues

I used to work for Advanced Auto Parts. There’s like 2-3 company’s that make all the air filters in China. Buy the nice store brand one & you’re basically getting the best. The difference is all brand marketing.

Tenneco is the biggest now that they bought Federal-Mogul. Click here & you can see they’re the OEM for FCA & a supplier for Advance & Oreilly’s. So it’s all the same stuff basically.

https://www.tenneco.com/original_equipment/oem_customers/

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMHO, there's nothing better than the OE filter especially on the JL. It really is amazing at how well it works.

1996cc

After having 4 different K&N filters in 3 different vehicles/ATVs, and having them ALL let dirt through, I will NEVER own another one. How do I know they let dirt by? Well, they ALL had their intake tubes after the filters lined with dirt/grime. 2 of those also had Outerwears prefilters on them...

The one thing K&N did right, I was able to send 2 of them back for a full refund.

cb4017

Years ago I put a K&N in my TJ Wrangler. This Jeep roamed the desert on a regular basis. One time after going through stretches of powdery, talcum stretches of dirt road I pulled the filter to check it out. I was quite honestly surprised by the amount of fine dust that made it past the filter into the intake tube. I trashed the K&N and installed a stock paper filter. I never saw that dust in the intake tube again.

I've stuck with stock type filters since then.

I'll add that the K&N was properly installed.