Has the “Wandering Steering” been corrected on the 2020’s?

Hwycycle

Hi all,

I’ve been watching the many issues reported about the wandering steering in the JL’s. I’ve test driven two 2018 JL’s and one was worse than the other. I understand the solid axels will has some effect on the steering, but not to the extent I experienced on my test drives. I’ve read about an updated steering box which has reportedly corrected this issue. The new steering box, in conjunction with an updated track bar has resulted in significant improvement in the steering.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks so much for all the invaluable information on the forum,

Tom.

mac214

Some people have been reporting issues on their JTs but mine doesn’t wander and doesn’t have the play in the steering wheel when parked that others have.

I haven’t seen anything definitive on a new steering box cut over in production though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is NO "wandering steering" issue. The real issue is that there is WAY TOO MUCH AIR in the tires from the dealership. This is why some "feel" worse than others as some have more air in them than others. Running the tires at a more reasonable 30 psi alone WILL make a HUGE difference in how they feel. The other issue you've been hearing about is from people who currently drive cars with IFS and a rack and pinion steering system. This is a Jeep and yes, it does have a solid axle, tie-rod, drag link and steering box. It will feel "different" but it is NOT an issue.

mac214

^^^^^^^ Definitely this on the tires^^^^^^^^^

Both my JTR and my dad’s JLUR had 47ish psi in the tires at delivery. We both dropped them after leaving the dealership. I have a tazer on the way to lower the threshold for the TPMS even more and will drop the psi and chalk test them to figure out where I will run my Nittos.

KerryG

My tires were at 45 from the dealership. I also added a Fox 2.0 Stabilizer which tightened everything up as well.

DMF

I have a 2020 and have no wandering issues in the steering. Tires are still at 40psi since when I brought it home from the dealer.

Npe102414

I have a 2020 and the wandering started when I lifted it and added E load 35’s. As soon as I got the correct PSI figured out it got much better. Just finished up installing a Steer Smarts tie rod, drag link, track bar, Synergy sector shaft brace, all 8 Teraflex Alipne IR control arms and a Falcon 2.2 stabilizer and my steering went from good to awesome. Road crown and cross wind will always be an issue that most newbies mistake for wandering but it’s obviously not. Again, my 2020 went from good, to better, to where it sits now, awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Wrangler-Joe

Air Pressure

30 pounds of air pressure is too low for the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System". It lights the Low Pressure indicator and shows the message "Inflate tires to 36#. 34# works but 32 does not. I Have a 2018 JLU.

mac214

30 pounds of air pressure is too low for the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System". It lights the Low Pressure indicator and shows the message "Inflate tires to 36#. 34# works but 32 does not. I Have a 2018 JLU.

That annoyed me too. It is one of the features I now use in my Tazer Mini to reduce the PSI that will trigger the warning.

Hwycycle

Thanks guys. I just test drove two 2020 JL Unlimited Willys. Tire pressure (Firestone Destinations) was set at 38-40 at the dealer and both were still in transport mode. Both were built in late November. The difference was tremendously different from my previous test drives in 2018. Now to negotiate a price.

Coach2k

I just traded my 2015 JK for a 2020 Rubicon and the steering right out of the gate was vastly improved. When I left the dealer the tires were set at 43 psi, so I immediately lowered that to 32 and everything felt better. I wouldn't consider the handling as "wondering" it is a Jeep and handles as such. A better stabilizer will make a difference as the one from the factory is a monotube and the better ones should be a dual tube (read about the difference online with shocks).