Does aftermarker front bumpers effect front collision system on new 2020 JL

GWeagan

I have owned 3 Jeeps in the past, but the new Jeep has all the new sensors like collision sensors etc. My last Jeep was a modified 09 Rubicon that did not have any of the new modern options. I have always used Warn Bumpers, but they have a disclaimer saying the front bumper MAY effect the new Jeep options. I am sure many on the forum also use Warn products. Has anyone had trouble with the bumper causing problems with the new options like collision sensor etc. I am in the process of buying bumpers etc for my new Rubicon, but don't want to make a mistake on parts. Any help would be appreciated. I sold my last Rubicon in 2017 and am looking forward to getting back into the Jeeping world. I have also always used the Warn Power Plant winch. I don't see it listed anymore.

Thanks,

GWEagan

NFRs2000NYC

Depends....on the quality of bumper, and what you hit. Generally speaking, hitting a soft object, like an animal, a normal automobile, etc, the Jeep will do better in a collision. It will protect the occupants, and protect the Jeep a lot better. However, you can’t dodge physics, that energy has to go somewhere......and that somewhere is going to be the object hit.....ie animal or the other vehicle. The other vehicle will take far more damage, and its occupants will probably suffer more injuries. However, hitting a hard object, ie a tree, a rock, a concrete divider, etc, it will cause MORE damage to the occupants of the Jeep, and the Jeep itself. Having said that, its a game of odds.....what do you have a higher probability of hitting, a hard object or a soft one? I’d choose steel every time.

ddays v2

There are no sensors attached to the front bumpers so I do not think an aftermarket bumper will affect any of the crash sensors

NFRs2000NYC

Correct, those sensors work on G load, so it is possible to affect airbag operation...if you hit a hard object with a steel bumper, you may trigger a higher than normal g load which MAY trip an airbag....and vice versa....you may hit a soft object where a normal vehicle would have deployed, but yours wont because there wasn’t enough load to trip the sensor. Again, this would only be an issue at a low speed, generally when you don’t need airbags, and the chances of you hitting a hard object at a low speed are fairly low.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, there are NO sensors in your front bumper. They are located inside your Jeep and they measure the rate of deceleration.