Sorry, it doesn't work like that : WAYALIFE Store Return Policy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In lieu of a recent email exchange that I had in regards to our WAYALIFE store and our return policy, I thought it might be a good idea to share what had happened and with the hopes of alleviating future concerns and or confusion.

A couple of weeks back, a guy named Lee Gemma placed an order for an ACM bracket but then decided that he wanted to return it. No big deal. I get the package and sent him a refund just like I said I would, minus the cost of shipping. Fast forward to today and Mr. Gemma is upset that I didn't refund him the cost of shipping. He said that he paid to have the ACM shipped back to me and that I should have to pay him for what he paid USPS to ship it out in the first place. I tried to explaining that's not how it works and we do clearly state as much in our Return Policy but he was still angry anyway.

Below is copy of our conversation...

Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:01 PM
Subject: Return Request

Hello,

I would like to request a return for order #5921, ACM : JL Wrangler / JT Gladiator Under Hood ARB Air Compressor Mount

Thank you for your assistance.

Lee Gemma

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM:
Hi Lee,
I am sorry to hear you’d like to return your ACM. Was there anything wrong with it? Please ship it back and once we receive it and have verified all the contents, a refund will be issued to you.

Sincerely,
Eddie

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Return Request

Hello,

I paid for return shipping myself, and yet I only receive a partial refund of $48. The total purchase price was $65.72. Can you please explain why only a partial refund was issued?

Thanks,
Lee

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 1:24 PM Store:
I really am sorry if there was some confusion regarding this but we do not make any money on shipping. As you can clearly see in our Return Policy, we do provide refunds for the product(s) in question minus shipping fees.

https://www.wayalife.com/store/policy.php

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:38 AM

How can you charge me for the shipping fee when I paid for the return shipping?

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:55 AM
To: 'Lee Gemma'
Subject: RE: Return Request

So that we’re all on the same page here, you paid USPS, NOT me to have the product shipped to you just like you paid UPS to have it shipped back. I’m not sure how you can be asking me to just give you money for something that was never paid to me. This is why your invoice clearly states how much shipping was and separately from the cost of the product. I am sorry this is so difficult for you to understand but our return policy is clearly stated on our website.

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Wow. The "confusion" is because most of your competitors provide free shipping and many offer free returns. Your return policy states that "a refund for the purchase price of your item(s) will be made minus any shipping fees." If you're going to expect customers to cover the cost of original shipping AND return shipping, that's fine and it does not seem unreasonable for a smaller online retailer, but why not just clearly state that on the website? It's simple: "Buyer is responsible for return shipping costs."

Here is an example of good customer service: Extreme Terrain shipped the ARB compressor to me for free, but after receiving the pump and learning that I'd need to buy additional mounting hardware, hoses, etc, ie something that could not be easily gleaned from the item's online description, I returned it and THEY covered the shipping cost. This company understands that the customer is always right, and sometimes you have to eat the cost of shipping in order to ensure customer loyalty.

I hope that $17.62 and sending a condescending email was worth losing a customer over.

Cheers

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:45 AM
To: 'Lee Gemma'
Subject: RE: Return Request

LOL!! “most of my competitors”? I appreciate the fact that you think I’m somehow as big as Extreme Terrain but the truth of the matter is, I AM A SMALLER ONLINE RETAILER. In fact, I make, package and sell everything you see in our shopping cart myself. I do this as a favor to people who’ve seen what I’ve made for myself and have asked to have them made for them. If there really is someone out there who makes things like my ACM, I would encourage you to buy from them.

Cheers

With all that said, I just wanted to clarify that Cindy and I are NOT some kind of big online retailer like Extreme Terrain. In fact, most of what we sell, I personally make, package and ship from my kitchen table. While I wish we were huge and making tons of money, nothing could be further from the truth. We sell what we do as a way to help others and to help cover some of our costs and that's about it. Needless to say, we cannot afford to offer things like free shipping and or free returns and hope that unlike Mr. Gemma, you can be understanding of this. Of course, if our return policy seems unreasonable to you, we would encourage you to buy from another vendor.

Thank you,
Eddie

JTCO

Meme King
If the return policy is clear, then this guy can pound sand. And Extreme Terrain, lol. That explains everything I need to know about this clown.

DavidDJL69

Your policies are clearly spelled out and fair. You never state “free shipping” and the only people who can’t understand that are people who don’t take the time to read the stated policy or who simply can’t read at all. But this attitude of blaming others for one’s own mistakes is an epidemic in our culture today and it’s as discourses it is sickening.

Personally, I’ve never been disappointed in anything I’ve purchased from Wayalife. The orders are complete, well- packaged, and arrive in a prompt fashion. Be glad you lost this dope as a customer. Lee Gemma can pound sand and take his business elsewhere. Maybe he should return to elementary school to learn some personal responsibility if they even try to teach that anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

I too have been in this person’s situation where I had to return an item and pay for the return shipping. It seems unfair that I had to return a defective item AND pay to ship it back for a warranty replacement. But like you, their return policy is clearly stated and must be considered as part of the purchase. Some companies even charge a 20% re-stocking fee for returns.

I see no reason to start a tirade with a company over shipping costs though. My grandma always said, “you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.” And also, karma is a b!+ch.

And again, kudos to you for helping the Jeep community by offering some of the great solutions you’ve designed for the lifestyle! I know many people here appreciate you offering your designs and solutions to others.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Last edited:

MrGiant

If an item is defective or clearly does not work as supposed (no error in usage of course) as I receive it I dont feel like paying anything for that thing, also no shipping to the dealer. In this case the dealer/manufacturer/whoever would have to pay the return shipping

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

YAHAHA

If an item is defective or clearly does not work as supposed (no error in usage of course) as I receive it I dont feel like paying anything for that thing, also no shipping to the dealer. In this case the dealer/manufacturer/whoever would have to pay the return shipping

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

I feel the same way but if the return policy is clearly stated, then it’s a risk of buying through mail order or online as opposed to in a storefront.

MrGiant

Of course thats right. Fortunately I have been lucky so far, maybe a mixture of luck and well picked buys

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I make a mistake or a product I ship out is defective, I cover all costs to replace it or provide a full refund. This situation is different in that the customer bought a product and then later decided to return it. That's his choice and I will take it back but I think it's a stretch to suggest that I should have to pay him money for something I never made.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I too have been in this person’s situation where I had to return an item and pay for the return shipping. It seems unfair that I had to return a defective item AND pay to ship it back for a warranty replacement. But like you, their return policy is clearly stated and must be considered as part of the purchase. Some companies even charge a 20% re-stocking fee for returns.

I see no reason to start a tirade with a company over shipping costs though. My grandma always said, “you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.” And also, karma is a b!+ch.

And again, kudos to you for helping the Jeep community by offering some of the great solutions you’ve designed for the lifestyle! I know many people here appreciate you offering your designs and solutions to others.

Paying for a defective item is different than this situation.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

Paying for a defective item is different than this situation.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

This situation was different than mine but Eddie’s return policy is very clear. While I can empathize with the buyer that it sucks to pay return shipping, Eddie was is no way obligated to pay for return shipping. That’s the cost of purchasing items online.