Mopar Hinge Reinforcement and Milestar Patagonia MT 38x13.5x17

DavidDJL69

Seriously. Get the EVO tire carrier. Period. As far as tires go, try Cooper or Nitto. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x13.50x17 on beadlocks. The EVO carrier is way stout enough. Listen to these guys here because they know what their talking about from experience. Now if you’re striving to be merely an overlander then just keep it stock.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

gbr

Even though you may not have the exact answer that you're looking for, all of us are genuinely trying to help you. Many of us or our friends have run shit on our Jeeps that we regretted later and it's just wasted money. 3 people have told you to get a tire carrier though if you're absolutely set on these shitty tires.

But what he said wasn't an answer. If he doesn't like the tire, then he could have said so. Lots of people don't like the tire and lots of people do. Saying 38's are stupid isn't a valid argument against the tire. Does that me the STT Pro 38s are stupid as well? I'm more than willing to consider another tire with proper arguments, not because someone says 38s are stupid. Right now, I'd say the arguments are 50/50 for and against the Pats.

I've ordered my Jeep with the Mopar reinforcement. I'm thinking I made an error here, but what's done is done in this case. I don't have wheels and tires yet, and am still considering what to do on that front.

Gerald

gbr

Seriously. Get the EVO tire carrier. Period. As far as tires go, try Cooper or Nitto. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x13.50x17 on beadlocks. The EVO carrier is way stout enough. Listen to these guys here because they know what their talking about from experience. Now if you’re striving to be merely an overlander then just keep it stock.

I've ordered the Jeep with the Mopar, but I think I'll end up getting the EVO in its place. Wish I hadn't spent that money, but so it goes.

Thanks for the answer,

Gerald

Rgk401

I've read arguments for and against the Pats, and I may change my mind. Saying all 38s are retarded is an opinion and pointless with facts.

Gerald

I have 35x12.5x17 Patagonia and on dry roads they are good, off road in dry conditions they are OKAY,not as good as the nitto trail grapplers. On a wet road the Patagonia’s suck. Very little traction in wet conditions. Hope this helps

EDIT: I will be going back to nitto trail grapplers on my new Jeep once my 2 door sells

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

I've read arguments for and against the Pats, and I may change my mind. Saying all 38s are retarded is an opinion and pointless with facts.

Gerald

The reason why people are saying it's retarded, albeit a bit strong, is the simple fact that it is a VERY uncommon size....as is a 39. Ergo, if a situation should ever arise when you would need to borrow a spare, the odds of bumping into someone with a 38 is slim. Now, obviously, the need to borrow a spare in the USA for a casual wheeler is probably not something that will happen, but there is a slim possibility. Second, with an open differential, especially with the FAD, you dont need to run the same size spare if you're just limping off the trail back to civilization. If you popped your spare and had to borrow someones 37 to drive to a tire place on tarmac, you can do what the sports car world has always done, run rear wheel drive, put your offsize spare on the front, and your rears (driven wheels) matching. This will get to safely to civilization, if you had to. As for the tires, I tend to lean with everyone here.....the fact that it is literally not possible to find any REAL review on these tires outside the "influencer" circles makes it obvious Milestar is providing them for free to people for exposure...basically free repeating advertising. A "bold strategy cotton" for sure, and great in terms of marketing, but for us looking for honest reviews, makes the waters murky. Sometimes, I like to make up my own mind (taking advice of people like Eddie seriously) and biting the bullet and maybe trying something out for sh!ts and giggles, but at the current price of these tires, it's just not worth it. For 50% less than say an STT, I may be convinced to give them a shot, but not for nearly the same money. My only issue with 37s from a lot of these companies in 17" format, is that they are MUCH heavier. So, while I wait for my gladiator, my 37" size will be dictated by the fact that it fits into the spare location, and I'll be looking at the STT Pro, for one reason, they have been proven to be tough, and are the closest MT cousin (IMHO) of the Duratrac, a tire I find to be spectacular over the 6 years I've used em.

JP223/3USA

Hi,

Looking at getting the Milestar Patagonia MT 38x13.5x17. Do I need the Hinge Reinforcement? I'm also looking at the Rugged Ridge one. It's cheaper, but I can bury the Mopar one in the cost of the vehicle.

Thanks,
Gerald

I used to have the rugged ridge tire carrier. The carrier doesn’t have needed shims to level the tailgate when mounting the full weight of the tire. Also, the coating is flaking around the hinge points. Save your coin and look elsewhere.