Drive shaft maintenance and skid plates

Zenman323

Is there an after market drive shaft out there that doesn't require lubrication at the T-case side so I don't have to drop the skids?

Had a 3.5" lift and full skids with an Adam's driveshaft on my JK. Great setup, but hated having to drop the skid every oil change to lube the drive shafts.

Plan on a 2.5" Metal Cloak Game Changer on my JLU and even at that height I'll need a drive shaft due to travel.

Zenman323

You really shouldn't be needing to grease your driveshaft at every oil change.

Definitely appreciate that info, was following the vendors (Adams Driveshaft) recommendation. Maybe I back that down to once a year.

Hoping to find a good driveshaft that doesn't require the maintenance at the T-case end, but maybe that's a unicorn.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely appreciate that info, was following the vendors (Adams Driveshaft) recommendation. Maybe I back that down to once a year.

Hoping to find a good driveshaft that doesn't require the maintenance at the T-case end, but maybe that's a unicorn.

If you have a driveshaft made with non-greaseable u-joints and double cardan, there is no need for maintenance or at least, nothing as crazy as needing it once every oil change. Not only is that stupid, greasable joints are hollow and are weaker because of it. Non-greaseable joints do need to be replaced a part of regular maintenance but that's way down the road and they are stronger. For me personally, I prefer having my driveshafts custom made at a local shop. Having bought Adams in the past, I can tell you that my custom shafts were HALF the cost and I got to have them built with made in the USA Neapco joints.