Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 2.0 Turbo and rock crawling

My 2.0 sounds like my old Honda Hurricane when I start it up in the morning. Part of me gets a little embarrass because it's such a loud whining noise and then I just look at my Jeep and see how nice it is I forget about the noise.

Fresh Catch
    All Jeeps are toys regardless of engine

It all depends on what you compare with.

Coolest of road vehicle I driven was a Centurion. 29 liter turbo diesel if I recall correctly.

I have 18 JLUR w/2.0L and I rock crawl all the time. This is my first jeep so I cannot compare to V6. I always wheel with a lifted and worked Tacoma and I never struggle. My buddy in the Tacoma does if either of us do. I would rather have Hemi but they don't come new with them. My last vehicle was Hemi Magnum. On the road the Jeep does better than I expected a 4cyl would, especially on 37's. Only time I experience lag, is if while on road coming almost to a stop, and then say turning sharply than gassing, you will get slight lag. But off roading I have not found it a disadvantage. We do steep grade long hill climbs on rocky slippery terrain, drive through tight trails, go through deep water crossings and the most fun is the big rocks.
    I think I would have to be out with a bunch of other similar Jeeps off road to really compare. Maybe if I off roaded for a day with a V6 I would be bummed about the 2.0L? But I have wheeled with other vehicles (only one other Jeep JK) and have been impressed with mine.

EDIT: One thing I didn't mention...the sound. Yea I agree it's not very manly. But you know what...who cares? I would rather it be quiet. Sometimes while wheeling we end up somewhere...well...maybe somewhere we aren't suppose to be. Guess what...no one hear's us!
    Last edited by BlueRubicon; 11-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Caught the Bug
    Only done one big rock trail and mine was fine with the 4.10’s and 37’s. Never felt I had to rev engine up to get to power anymore than my previous jeep. That 8 speed tranny and torque at lower rpms were good to go. The cooling fan however sounds like car wash vacuum. Need a race radio to communicate with your spotter when it comes on lol.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to compare oranges to apples and someone told you that they're both supposed to be apples. If you want the V8 old American muscle, you don't buy a modern Jeep. Two completely different venues. And as far as 'entry level' forums, I can assure you the owners of this forum have been doing this for decades. So not sure who you're referring to there
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Could you elaborate? I just want to make sure we all understand what you are saying.
    Where did Captain Blah Blah go?
    2014 JKU Money Pit on 37's
    2019 JLUR on 35's (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    All Jeeps are toys regardless of engine

It all depends on what you compare with.

Coolest of road vehicle I driven was a Centurion. 29 liter turbo diesel if I recall correctly.
    Wtf 29 litres
    Of course you are totally right, all Jeeps are toys

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

Fresh Catch
    Well it was a tank I was a anti tank platoon chief at one time and had to “tank” school as part of the training.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiant View Post
    Wtf 29 litres
    Of course you are totally right, all Jeeps are toys

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Caught the Bug
    I think we can all agree there certainly isnt any advantage. I can say a huge battery bank hanging low with more coolant lines/demand ready to drag on rocks isnt an advantage either. They removed etorque since then for 2020 no?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjcountry95 View Post
    I think we can all agree there certainly isnt any advantage. I can say a huge battery bank hanging low with more coolant lines/demand ready to drag on rocks isnt an advantage either. They removed etorque since then for 2020 no?
    From car & driver:

pricing rises slightly across the board.
    The new Jeep Wrangler JL is rearranging its powertrain options for 2020. Whereas it was previously available with either a conventional 3.6-liter V-6 or a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder with a mild-hybrid setup called eTorque, it will now offer conventional and hybrid versions of both these engines.

The eTorque hybrid powertrains are now limited only to the four-door Wrangler in Sahara trim, with the eTorque V-6 costing $1000 extra and the eTorque four-cylinder costing $2000 extra over the standard Sahara setup, a conventional V-6 with a six-speed manual.

Other trim levels continue on with the same nonhybrid 3.6-liter V-6 as standard and a nonhybrid turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four as an option. Both have engine stop-start capability. The V-6 comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission and offers an eight-speed automatic as an option, while the four-cylinder is automatic only. EPA ratings for the hybrid V-6 and nonhybrid four-cylinder aren't yet available.

There is also a new trim level called Black & Tan that includes an appearance package with—you guessed it—black and tan trim. It's available for both two- and four-door models, with the former starting at $34,685 and the latter starting at $38,185. Pricing for the rest of the lineup goes up slightly, with all trim levels going up by $250.

We assume that the 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V-6 promised for the new Wrangler is on its way for the new model year as well, although we don't have details about that powertrain quite yet. Stay tuned for more updates about the 2020 Wrangler, which will likely begin hitting dealerships this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjcountry95 View Post
    FYI...battery below has been a non issue. It is covered with very durable skid plate and is up high. Like I've stated I rock crawl monthly and look under Jeep after every excursion and only scratches are on that skid. We will see how battery holds up before and after warranty is up.
    In three years I may be cursing the 2.0l...who knows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast