2018 JLUR sway bar disc motor...OMG!!!!

My SBD motor was deemed bad by dealer. They wont replace under warranty however, because there is evidence it was hit.
That aside...I bought EVO manual SBD. Love it!!
Today I thought I would disassemble factory one and maybe fix it. Was shocked at what I found. Less than a year old and less than 10K miles. Fucking pathetic JUNK!!

IMG_2131.jpgIMG_2132.jpgIMG_2133.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2135.jpgIMG_2136.jpg

dixonk

I've been eyeballing the EVO disconnect. Here lately my swaybar disconnect has been taking longer and longer to disconnect.

You mentioned that you hit the housing and thus the dealership wouldn't fix. If thats true, that would explain the rust etc no? I mean i dont think your instance shows that its a failure of a design. It works just fine for me for what I do with it. And from inside the cab no less.

Do some digging on YouTube. You will see many videos where inside of housing is a rusted mess. There is also plenty of documentation on forums besides this one, where it is talked about. This motor was removed from vehicle after it was hit. No puddles were involved in between that time.
However previous off roading plenty of puddles or through water excursions occurred. None of which water high enough to come inside Jeep cab, enough to soak motor. Motor and gear section should not be able to allow water inside. Does the engine?..no, does trans?..no, does xfer case?..no. Then why disconnect motor? Seems like flaw To Me.
Cheers.

ddays v2

The push button feature on the Rubi bars is sure convenient, but the EVO disconnect is by far more practical. My JL with it is nice and all, but the manual disco I have on my JK allows me to disengage the sway bar whenever I want. I use it all the time in 2wd on backroads and trails where 4wd is not necessary. Honestly if/when mine fails in the JL I will gladly replace it with the manual disco & not even try to have the electric motor replaced. :twocents:

Piginajeep

The push button feature on the Rubi bars is sure convenient, but the EVO disconnect is by far more practical. My JL with it is nice and all, but the manual disco I have on my JK allows me to disengage the sway bar whenever I want. I use it all the time in 2wd on backroads and trails where 4wd is not necessary. Honestly if/when mine fails in the JL I will gladly replace it with the manual disco & not even try to have the electric motor replaced. :twocents:

Get the EVO air disconnect. Is the best of both. I love it on my JK8.

CalSgt

Taser allows disconnect in 2wd with factory rubicon sway bar too

CalSgt

Can you get the sway bar button to work with the air disconnect version?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

From what I understand the factory button is complex & is wired through the ECU so the simple answer is no.

The complex answer is I'm sure a tech proficient individual could hot wire something to remove the connection from the ECU and figure out a way to convert the switch from a momentary type to a latching type switch... I'm pretty confident in my abilities & the amount of work and potential for issues far outweigh the benefit of reusing the factory switch for me.

dixonk

From what I understand the factory button is complex & is wired through the ECU so the simple answer is no.

The complex answer is I'm sure a tech proficient individual could hot wire something to remove the connection from the ECU and figure out a way to convert the switch from a momentary type to a latching type switch... I'm pretty confident in my abilities & the amount of work and potential for issues far outweigh the benefit of reusing the factory switch for me.

That’s a bummer. It would look clean without another button.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

asmith1923

You’d think that thing would be submersible since they advertise, at least on the tailgate, that the Jeep can drive in 30” of water. That damn thing is only like 12-15” off the ground. That is disappointing. Sorry for your troubles with Jeep.

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

You’d think that thing would be submersible since they advertise, at least on the tailgate, that the Jeep can drive in 30” of water. That damn thing is only like 12-15” off the ground. That is disappointing. Sorry for your troubles with Jeep.

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

Bingo...that is my point. Thanks for your empathy:thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

If you sued, you'd probably win/settle. If it ever happens to me, I assure you Im not paying for a replacement.