Check your ball joints

dixonk

Had an annoying clicking noise up front for a little while now. Diagnosed it as coming from the ball joint. Pulled the cotter pin and checked the torque and almost got a complete turn on the nuts before getting torque spec let alone going the extra notch needed for putting cotter pin in. Noise is now gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
If a cotter pin is present, how do they keep loosening where they have to be tightened every few months?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I swear it’s the aluminum knuckles, it’s like they sink in a little at a time. I’m hearing rumors of the diesels having cast knuckles again. Woohoo if it’s true.

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. Regarding the rumors, Dana already has cast knuckles that they plan on offering up as an aftermarket "upgrade" from factory.

Hooligan_JL

Could this be the cause of vibration at about 40mph?

I have been hearing a click for a while but I thought it was the round metal ring around my sway bar disconnect from the RK Suspension.

What is torque spec for this and socket size if you don’t mind?

JeepJL

The clicking is 99% your ball joints. Torque them to 55 then go to the next available slot for the pin to fit through. I can’t remember the size, maybe 19 or 21mm. I doubt that’s causing you vibration though.

dixonk

The clicking is 99% your ball joints. Torque them to 55 then go to the next available slot for the pin to fit through. I can’t remember the size, maybe 19 or 21mm. I doubt that’s causing you vibration though.

Specs have a multi point process on torque. Torque lower to 15. Torque upper to 55. Then Retorque lower to 35. Put all castle nuts one notch further if they don’t align. I can’t remember socket size...maybe 21 or 22?