Transfer Case Shifter Very Tight

MRichaud

Still in the learning curve here on our '18 Wrangler Unlimited. Picked it up last week from a local dealer; it was used as a loaner for the dealership - only 4800 miles on it.

Just tried shifting back and forth between the different modes, and it is extremely difficult to shift. Finally made it through all positions, and still very stiff. I'm assuming it's only a matter of not being used and needs to be exercised, no?

MrMischief

My 19 was very tight as well the first few times. Even inching along and such as described in the manual. Don't worry, it'll run in with wear.

JTCO

Meme King
Still in the learning curve here on our '18 Wrangler Unlimited. Picked it up last week from a local dealer; it was used as a loaner for the dealership - only 4800 miles on it.

Just tried shifting back and forth between the different modes, and it is extremely difficult to shift. Finally made it through all positions, and still very stiff. I'm assuming it's only a matter of not being used and needs to be exercised, no?

Sounds normal to me.

Transmission in neutral. Foot on brake. Then with effort, yank 4x4 lever from 2hi into 4hi/4lo.

MRichaud

Thanks for the quick responses.

Tried it in neutral and in drive, sitting in the driveway. I noticed in the owner's manual that it said the transfer case sometimes needs to be warmed up before loosening. This was after a drive of about six miles. Temperature is in the 60s - will work on it a bit more and see if it loosens up.

Mickey

ddays v2

It really does help to be moving some. Not much but if you can try shifting on a very slight incline and let the Jeep drift slightly it will help a lot while it's so new.

You'll totally be fine after a while. Just make sure you're under 5mph when shifting into 4lo. I screwed up a couple times and its unplesant to say the least.

MRichaud

You'll totally be fine after a while. Just make sure you're under 5mph when shifting into 4lo. I screwed up a couple times and its unplesant to say the least.

Thanks. I remember from my CJ7 days about coming almost to a full stop before dropping into 4Lo.

Figured it was just tight from not being used, but it was stiff enough that I was concerned about doing some damage by forcing it. As I said earlier, finally got it to move; will have to get it out and exercise it a bit!