Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Wheel/Tire combo sizing

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch asmith1923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Aldie
    Posts
    42

    Wheel/Tire combo sizing

    All,

    Now I realize that 90% of you are going to say, smaller wheel + more sidewall = better off-roadability. But here is my goal. I will drive 99% on the pavement and when off-road, will only be sand, snow, or lite mud, or otherwise novice level woods driving. Or of course, running over zombies should the apocalypse happen.

    I want 37" tires with my 2" MOPAR lift. To accomplish this, I want 20" wheels (insert eye roll here) to minimize my sidewall height (floaty-ness) to maximize highway-ability. Also, I want to keep the tires tucked under the fenders as much as possible.

    So my question is, assuming you can't talk me out of 20" wheels, what width wheel would you suggest? Would a narrower wheel with wider tire give me a more usable sidewall width for off-roading?
    I still want to be able to air down, what wheel/tire sizing would allow me to do this with a 20" wheel, if any?

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,216
    I don't know the answer to your question, but when you run over zombies, please post pictures here.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #3
    Knows a Thing or Two dixonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    532
    20” wheels are kinda gay. If you want a tucked look you can use the Mopar beadlock/simulated beadlock that looks pretty good and will work with a 37. I have been running a 37 for over 20k miles on my JL and I don’t know what floaty feeling your describing. It handles and drives better than the 33” that it came with.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JLUR Sting Gray

  4. #4
    Fresh Catch asmith1923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Aldie
    Posts
    42

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but when you run over zombies, please post pictures here.
    Absolutely

    Quote Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
    20” wheels are kinda gay. If you want a tucked look you can use the Mopar beadlock/simulated beadlock that looks pretty good and will work with a 37. I have been running a 37 for over 20k miles on my JL and I don’t know what floaty feeling your describing. It handles and drives better than the 33” that it came with.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    "Kinda Gay"? What's wrong with that? Well, it is a florescent green Jeep, so I'm well on my way to a gender indifferent rig anyway. I'd much rather build a Mall Crawler and drive it proudly, then drive a manly tough rock crawlin rig with SIMULATED anything. Simulated beadlocks? Seriously?

    My experience with tall sidewalls, is they walk around at highway speeds. I do plan to keep the OE JLUR 17" rims with a set of 37"'s for taking Booger in the mud.

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two dixonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith1923 View Post
    Absolutely



    "Kinda Gay"? What's wrong with that? Well, it is a florescent green Jeep, so I'm well on my way to a gender indifferent rig anyway. I'd much rather build a Mall Crawler and drive it proudly, then drive a manly tough rock crawlin rig with SIMULATED anything. Simulated beadlocks? Seriously?

    My experience with tall sidewalls, is they walk around at highway speeds. I do plan to keep the OE JLUR 17" rims with a set of 37"'s for taking Booger in the mud.
    Notice the slash. The mopar wheels can be either beadlocks or simulated however you want to run them. But if you think 20s are cool then rock them. Don’t ask for anyone’s opinion.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •