Lose power

JLjeepster

Yesterday probably the 2 most difficult climbs I did the engine dropped rpm when my foot was consistent on the throttle.

Has anyone else seen something similar, I was in 4 low, traction control off, locked front and rear, it's also an automatic and I'm using a tazer jl. Running 37s. 2018 JL

Drive. I have to completely stop take my foot off pedal and then I get power back

It sounds like the transmission shifted and couldn’t get in the next gear or something. I remember Eddie had something similar happen in an early video & warned to do climbs in M and not D. Maybe the transmission temps were high but not crazy?

ddays v2

The ESC is never fully off in the JL's, even in 4LO. I ran into the same situation on a couple climbs in the snow this past winter. As noted, Eddie talked about this when he was in Moab on climbs.
The ESC cuts in and totally kills your momentum. The work around is to have the tranny in manual mode and shift yourself. For some reason the ESC does not kick in while in this mode.

In the JK's there's an ESC kill you can do by cutting one wire beneath the console. I did this and installed a simple switch that allows you to go back and forth. With this wire cut, no signals from the wheel sensors reach the computer and it won't apply the ESC or anti-lock brakes. Point is, I don't know if there is such a thing on the JL's. If there is, I'll be doing the same to mine so that I don't have to deal with this pain in the ass issue.

Camelot

From the manual:

This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only and should not be used on any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC features are turned OFF. To enter the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime will sound, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the “ESC OFF” message will display in the instrument cluster. To turn ESC ON again, momentarily push the “ESC Off” switch.

System may switch from ESC “Full Off” to “Partial Off” mode when vehicle exceeds a predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed slows below the predetermined speed the system will return to ESC “Full Off”.

ddays v2

From the manual:

This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only and should not be used on any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC features are turned OFF. To enter the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime will sound, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the “ESC OFF” message will display in the instrument cluster. To turn ESC ON again, momentarily push the “ESC Off” switch.

System may switch from ESC “Full Off” to “Partial Off” mode when vehicle exceeds a predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed slows below the predetermined speed the system will return to ESC “Full Off”.

I'm thinking that in certain conditions, like a hill climb in the snow and you're experiencing a lot of wheel spin, the ESC thinks that you are at that speed threshold and it kicks back in. In effect, it's not completely off. Honestly this could lead to
a serious situation where you need to generate high wheelspin in order to get out of a jam. This is why I put the kill switch in my JK. I want it all the way off, not partially off.

How the heck did I miss all that! Scroll further down in the manual and read about Electronic Roll Mitigation. It sounds like that might be kicking in during extreme climbs.