35’s on the Rubicon

Ryan Barnes

Since Mark Allen has confirmed that the Rubicon will fit 35s without a lift, does anyone think FCA was forward-thinking enough to include an option in the D.I.C. to select tire size so the speedo will read correctly? I think that would be an awesome option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From my understanding, your dealership will be able to calibrate your speedometer. I would imagine that they could do at least a 35" tire if not a 37" being that's what they've had on display.

13_gecko_rubi

From my understanding, your dealership will be able to calibrate your speedometer. I would imagine that they could do at least a 35" tire if not a 37" being that's what they've had on display.
They should be able to calibrate it to any realistic size tire you can run. If you wanna run 54s you are probally outta luck, otherwise should be good :)

Sent via....

JAGS

They should be able to calibrate it to any realistic size tire you can run. If you wanna run 54s you are probally outta luck, otherwise should be good :)

Sent via....

For the low price of a service visit? [emoji6][emoji12]

Will the Jeep go into limp mode on the way to the dealer?

13_gecko_rubi

For the low price of a service visit? [emoji6][emoji12]

Will the Jeep go into limp mode on the way to the dealer?
They haven't released the details on it yet so I cannot say too much. It will be far cheaper than any programmer u can buy.

As for limp mode no. U can change gears, tires, tcase etc and the jeep won't go into limp mode any more. The speedo will be off that's it. Just like the 07-11 JKs.

The issue in the 12+ JKs is the transmission does not have an output speed sensor. So it uses wheel speed and calculates trans output speed using diff and tcase gear ratios. If you change the ratios and don't reprogram the calculation is wrong and it sees a huge output speed error, boom limp mode. The 8 speed has a trans output speed sensor so that is no longer an issue. It does use vehicle speed also for shifting but it is a secondary thing that just helps for refinement. If it's off the shifting etc will degrade slightly but a normal person would likely never notice it. You should still reprogram it but it's not going to go into limp mode if you dont.

Sent via....

Saharaunlmtd

They haven't released the details on it yet so I cannot say too much. It will be far cheaper than any programmer u can buy.

As for limp mode no. U can change gears, tires, tcase etc and the jeep won't go into limp mode any more. The speedo will be off that's it. Just like the 07-11 JKs.

The issue in the 12+ JKs is the transmission does not have an output speed sensor. So it uses wheel speed and calculates trans output speed using diff and tcase gear ratios. If you change the ratios and don't reprogram the calculation is wrong and it sees a huge output speed error, boom limp mode. The 8 speed has a trans output speed sensor so that is no longer an issue. It does use vehicle speed also for shifting but it is a secondary thing that just helps for refinement. If it's off the shifting etc will degrade slightly but a normal person would likely never notice it. You should still reprogram it but it's not going to go into limp mode if you dont.

Sent via....

That’s great info. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JIMBOX

:D Going on many years of association with Cal/Nv dealers---

The dealer will recalibrate your SPEEDO for any size tire --THAT THE MFG ISSUES WITH THE CAR/MODEL, HOWEVER--

When you go larger, it will depend on your relationship/friendship/w that dealer--

Maybe things will/have changed, but it's gonna be on the individual case--costs included !

Good luck

:wings::thumb: JIMBO

JAGS

Sent via....

Nice! That pretty cool.

13_gecko_rubi

:D Going on many years of association with Cal/Nv dealers---

The dealer will recalibrate your SPEEDO for any size tire --THAT THE MFG ISSUES WITH THE CAR/MODEL, HOWEVER--

When you go larger, it will depend on your relationship/friendship/w that dealer--

Maybe things will/have changed, but it's gonna be on the individual case--costs included !

Good luck

:wings::thumb: JIMBO
Not for this. Price defined and all dealers will do it.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sent via....

Man that is some great news!! Thank you so much for posting this up :thumb:

offcamber

Sent via....

So since the JL and the WK2 use the same transmission now does that mean that the tire size will now be changeable for the WK2 as well in the computer? Our WK2 is on 33" tires but since lifting and putting the larger tires, the speedo is off and the dealer says there is no option in their programmer for non-stock tire sizes for them to correct it...

13_gecko_rubi

So since the JL and the WK2 use the same transmission now does that mean that the tire size will now be changeable for the WK2 as well in the computer? Our WK2 is on 33" tires but since lifting and putting the larger tires, the speedo is off and the dealer says there is no option in their programmer for non-stock tire sizes for them to correct it...
Unfortunately the code is built into the JL too not just the programming. So don't see it working on WK2

Sent via....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Sent via....

That’s great news.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app