Leveling after a heavy bumper install

asmith1923

All, first if this is a duplicate I apologize, I searched but couldn’t find anything here.

I installed the Smittybilt winch and bumper and removed the spare tire. What I ended up with was the front is 1 5/8” lower than the front. Otherwise, I’m a stock 19 JLUR.

My next mod is to install the MOPAR 2” lift, but I’m concerned about the hot rod rake. What size spring spacers would you recommend to correct my problem? Or should I buy the kit and buy two front 3 1/2” aftermarket lift springs to install with the kit?

I’m think the later will leave me with the original spring rate, instead of the loaded OE spring rate with the spacer option.

Thoughts?

IMG_3229.JPGIMG_3225.JPG

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Best thing to do is install the lift first, then measure and see where you're at. Also keep in mind that springs can sag over time even more. I tend to remember most JK guys having good luck with a 3/4" spacer on top of the springs after installing a winch and bumper.

asmith1923

Yeah, I figured you’d say that. The right solution isn’t always the easiest. I was hoping for a short cut to keep me from having to disassemble everything twice.

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

JTCO

Meme King
Yeah, I figured you’d say that. The right solution isn’t always the easiest. I was hoping for a short cut to keep me from having to disassemble everything twice.

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

If you have a good cordless impact, it's not all that bad getting the springs out a second time, especially when you've already done it once.

asmith1923

If you have a good cordless impact, it's not all that bad getting the springs out a second time, especially when you've already done it once.

Thank you. I just picked up the Milwaukee ratchet, so I should be good to go.
IMG_3249.JPG

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

asmith1923

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn’t sell an 18 or 20 volt. Hell, Dewalt doesn’t even make one. But this little 12v did great swapping out my rear bumper [emoji1360]

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

asmith1923

Yeah but I’ll get them close enough to use the torque wrench on.

Agreed. I’m on the cusp of placing my lift order now, just trying to decide between Mopar and metal cloak (not sure if dual rate springs is worth the extra cash for a 90/10 rock crawler). I will be googling proper torque on each component!!

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

ddays v2

Agreed. I’m on the cusp of placing my lift order now, just trying to decide between Mopar and metal cloak (not sure if dual rate springs is worth the extra cash for a 90/10 rock crawler).

I think these dual rate coils are a waste of money and a marketing gimmick. Every one of these installed shows the top part of the coils sitting compressed solid. What good is a quarter or so of your spring unusable in 99% of the driving conditions your Jeep will ever see? And the part saying that part of the spring being an extended coil bucket is stupid - a properly installed system will not allow the coils to unseat.

mc.jpg

Best bet is to stick with a good linear rate coil that uses the entire spring length. You may even want to look at the Dynatrac and EVO kits along with the Mopar kit. :twocents:

asmith1923

Thanks for the knowledge. I can’t imagine hitting a trail that would fully extend my suspension, but better safe than sorry. And their videos looked so convincing. Haha

I’ll focus on my ARB compressor install and continue my suspension research.

Thanks again [emoji1360]

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

ddays v2

Thanks for the knowledge. I can’t imagine hitting a trail that would fully extend my suspension, but better safe than sorry. And their videos looked so convincing. Haha

I’ll focus on my ARB compressor install and continue my suspension research.

Thanks again [emoji1360]

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

You bet - that's what we're all here for!

It's easy to get a little caught up in the marketing hype. Everyone's out there trying to get you to spend your money on their shit so they come up with novel ways to try to sway you to their parts. You'll tend to see several brands recommended here above others for good reasons - they're proven parts.