Paying MSRP?

JAGS

Ok, You got me. I'll call uncle. [emoji6] 13_gecko gets the fine print.

Been around the industry literally my entire life and have seen/benefited from all the tricks of trade.

Buying a car can certainly suck if you don't know what you don't know.

offcamber

Yes it sure can! I've gotten fleeced before. They used to get you in the price of the new car or your trade-in amount. They switched the game and now it's all about the financing and "protection plans". I had a finance guy try to sell me their tire warranty. I told him that there was no point, I was putting 35" tires on my JK once it was home. He tried to tell me that their warranty would cover whatever tire and wheels I put on the Jeep. I didn't buy that for a second!

RMC2

The point was not a pretty good deal but rather the % below invoice claim. The statement was 5% below invoice. That is not 5% below no matter what 5th grader does the math.

Try reading at the sixth grade level. He said the Jeep was listed on the web for 1% under invoice, not listed for 5%. 5% below was the deals he was claiming that could be had. It looks like the web price was over 3% under invoice.

Yes, many dealers try to add things in to make up for better deals on the new vehicle price. Higher interest rates, terrible trade in values, warranty scams, high paperwork fees....... And then there are the highly desirable vehicle mark ups over msrp. Not to mention dealer add ons(window tint, wheels, tires, lifts, lights, etc) for well over double the true installed cost. They act like they are loosing money, but that isn't happening. Good luck learning about dealer holdback and other super secret money back to the dealer from the manufacturer without an insider.

JAGS

Try reading at the sixth grade level. He said the Jeep was listed on the web for 1% under invoice, not listed for 5%. 5% below was the deals he was claiming that could be had. It looks like the web price was over 3% under invoice.

Yes, many dealers try to add things in to make up for better deals on the new vehicle price. Higher interest rates, terrible trade in values, warranty scams, high paperwork fees....... And then there are the highly desirable vehicle mark ups over msrp. Not to mention dealer add ons(window tint, wheels, tires, lifts, lights, etc) for well over double the true installed cost. They act like they are loosing money, but that isn't happening. Good luck learning about dealer holdback and other super secret money back to the dealer from the manufacturer without an insider.

Yeah. I got ya. Was referencing his statement on % which was referencing another guy staying 5%.

Unless you get a "no bullshit" clause of sorts in writing, you are guaranteed to go through everything else you mentioned.

There was a website that you could find out about holdbacks and such. It might have been edmunds, but that seems too obvious. Used it when I bought my JK.

bouche03

I would never pay MSRP for a vehicle. Figure out the invoice price and find a dealer wiling to go under that. There are many...I built and got my 2015 Rubicon for 7% under invoice from a dealer known to offer this. I do recommend doing the research on what the build MSRP and invoice is, and look around if you are shopping for a dealer. With the JL so new and in demand, many dealers are not budging off MSRP, but many are. Get your financing in order beforehand, or pay cash for it, as I did, and all the extras they offer, politely decline. The process doesn't need to cause an ulcer

RMC2

I haven't come across actual details on the holdback and such, but it would sure be nice to know specifics.

Especially on $50k plus JLUR.

Iceman47

Do the math. It's easy to look up the invoice cost of the options. INVOICE on that Jeep is $49,274. It is 3.3% UNDER invoice. Maybe you should AT LEAST do the math before you spout off?

That was just an example of an area dealer that was selling below MSRP. Mine is through a different dealer in Mckinney, Tx but my deal is below invoice as well. My MSRP is $56,249. Invoice price on mine was $52,752. My signed deal is for $49,586, which is right about 6% under invoice. My financing is through my bank. I bought no extended warranty or service plan through the dealership. I will buy an extended warranty, but I'll do it online rather than through the dealer.

Not sure if I'm violating any forum rules but do you know of any reputable online extended warranty companies? Most of them seem bogus.

JTCO

Meme King
Not sure if I'm violating any forum rules but do you know of any reputable online extended warranty companies? Most of them seem bogus.

I work in that industry and have for a long time. Before that I was a service writer and technician and dealt with extended contracts for a long time. My friends and family ask similar questions regularly and I tell them the same thing:

1)There is no such thing as a 'bumper to bumper' extended warranty. There are many contract exclusions. If someone tells you it is bumper to bumper, they are lying.

2) Read your contract. This is a legal binding agreement between you and the warranty company. Make sure you understand what your are buying.

3) While there are goods and bads and pros and cons, there are actually some warranties that are decent. Do your research on reviews and see what's out there based on REAL CUSTOMER EXPERIENCES. You are likely to have better luck with an extended warranty through the manufacture though. Example, If you're buying a Jeep, buy a Jeep extended warranty rather than some independent warranty company.

4) If the dealer is super super pushy about the warranty (especially a 3rd party independent one), they likely gain a TON of profit from those. They could care less what they're selling you. When I worked at the dealer level, the finance individual themselves sometimes pocketed 1000-1500 dollar commission from each contract sell.

Dusty

I haven't come across actual details on the holdback and such, but it would sure be nice to know specifics.

Especially on $50k plus JLUR.
If you go to Edmunds or NADA, and build one it will show you the MSRP, the Invoice and a good back number. I just used it and got below invoice. I went to 4 dealers two were stuck at 500 below MSRP, the other two were happy to go to employee pricing.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

cliff538

Just for comparison and general info:

Ordered my JL on 1/26/2018 in Northern Colorado
Just about fully loaded JL Rubicon
MSRP was $52,580
My price is $49,950

Other add-on's:
Government fee 31.64
Proc/Doc Fee 599.50
Taxes 1588.71

RMC2

Depending on which printout the dealer sends you, holdback may be on there. Such as friends and family and employee pricing has the holdback. But you have to get that build sheet. I found a great deal. If it wasn't for the price increase, it would have been awesome.