My Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator JT Build Thread

JTCO

Meme King
Ok thanks for both your info. I need to think about what to do with my YJs inner body next year

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

We have Herculiner on the inside of the WJ and the JK. It's held up fine. Takes about half day to do but the cost is really low.

JTCO

Meme King
Got the final coat of bedliner on today. Still a tiny bit tacky to put all the plugs and panels back on. Came out great for us. And it was almost free too. We had a half gallon of Herculiner left from other projects and knew we would use that first. We bought a brand new kit just in case but were hoping we could just take it back. Turns out for the entire job with the required 2 coats, it took 3/4 of a gallon :doh: Oh well, we now have an extra newer partially used can sitting around. A can of this costs 80 bucks from ACE Hardware. Having to buy masking tape, paper, and ear plugs to protect the threaded holes came out to 120 bucks including the Herculiner.

DSC04891.jpg

DSC04892.jpg

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Looks good

Thanks.

Looks good man, I completely hate prepping beds for bedliners

Who likes prep work[emoji2]

Luckily, the surface just has to be scuffed, so not too much sanding involved, but yes it's still extra work.

Looks great. Is that applied with a roller?

Thanks. The kit comes with a foam roller, however, the very first time we used this stuff years ago, we realized how much the roller splashes everywhere (kinda like mud in Jeep tires at slow speeds). So this was done with a large brush. The 'paint' has rubber chunks in it for the textured finish, so as long as you constantly stir it as you go, the results can stay pretty consistent. Still not as good as a sprayer, but it works.

JTCO

Meme King
All back together. So glad Eddie and Cindy made the Linex video. I don't know if I would have thought to remove the tailgate access panels and coat them separately. So glad I did. Looks clean.

DSC04896.jpg

DSC04898.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Building the plywood carrier for the bed for the half closed tailgate.

Nailed it! Been planning on doing this before owning the Jeep. We'll leave it in all the time. Since we'll have a tonneau cover, this will also be nice for keeping groceries,etc from rolling around. The half closed tailgate is a sweet feature; used it today with a 10 foot board:

IMG_20191019_144521_904.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Finally got the tonneau cover on. We went with a Rugged Ridge Armis Soft Rolling cover. I'm pleased with the final results but the instructions were lacking. Along with that, it never says on their website nor in the instructions that it will not work without the factory trail rail system. I had to modify the rear bracket just to be done with it. I'll be calling Rugged Ridge in the morning to see what they have to say. I'm hoping they have a bracket that they just forgot to include, but if not, this cover is not designed to work with a Gladiator bed that is not equipped with the factory trail rail system.

Here's some pictures of the final results.

DSC04968.jpg

DSC04969.jpg

DSC04971.jpg

DSC04972.jpg

DSC04973.jpg

DSC04974.jpg