Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Cooper STT Pro and snow

  1. #11
    Been Around the Block Onlyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Eagle, Co
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    This is probably going to be useless, but what the hell...

    I have no experience with Cooper STT Pros in the winter.


    The tiny 215/65R16 KO2s on my Subaru (seen HERE) have been superb in all types of snow, only surpassed by my wife's blizzaks.
    I really wanted to like them (Coopers) in the snow and tried my best but they just aren’t a winter tire. I knew that going into it. They are a terrific tire overall and for those that don’t see the snowfall like we do they are superb. I couldn’t even make it up my hill without 4wd in the truck with the Coopers. The KO2, I didn’t need it, even in the deep snows coming home. We run Blizzaks on the Lincoln and went with the KO2S on the truck and Jeep. I give up some strength with the BFG but gain more in the winter. Our winters are long. Lol

    My post wasn’t a bash on the Coopers. Just my honest experience with them. I would use them in a heartbeat the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Onlyone; 09-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    2018 JLUR SOLD
    2018 Ram Power Wagon on 37ís
    2019 Bikini JLR Turbo 2 Door on 37ís Mopar lift

  2. #12
    Been Around the Block Onlyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Eagle, Co
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    Where you live may be part of it too. Snow sticks around and a lot more hills.
    True, but you guys get your fair share. As I said in my last post, I wasnít bashing the Cooper in any way. Just my experience. I would blame myself more than the tire. I should have known better.
    2018 JLUR SOLD
    2018 Ram Power Wagon on 37ís
    2019 Bikini JLR Turbo 2 Door on 37ís Mopar lift

  3. #13
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
    I really wanted to like them (Coopers) in the snow and tried my best but they just arenít a winter tire. I knew that going into it. They are a terrific tire overall and for those that donít see the snowfall like we do they are superb. I couldnít even make it up my hill without 4wd in the truck with the Coopers. The KO2, I didnít need it, even in the deep snows coming home. We run Blizzaks on the Lincoln and went with the KO2S on the truck and Jeep. I give up some strength with the BFG but gain more in the winter. Our winters are long. Lol

    My post wasnít a bash on the Coopers. Just my honest experience with them. I would use them in a heartbeat the rest of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
    True, but you guys get your fair share. As I said in my last post, I wasnít bashing the Cooper in any way. Just my experience. I would blame myself more than the tire. I should have known better.
    I totally get it. We're going to be running Duratracs on the JT for that reason. It will see nearly zero trail time.

  4. #14
    Knows a Thing or Two MrGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
    I really wanted to like them (Coopers) in the snow and tried my best but they just arenít a winter tire. I knew that going into it. They are a terrific tire overall and for those that donít see the snowfall like we do they are superb. I couldnít even make it up my hill without 4wd in the truck with the Coopers. The KO2, I didnít need it, even in the deep snows coming home. We run Blizzaks on the Lincoln and went with the KO2S on the truck and Jeep. I give up some strength with the BFG but gain more in the winter. Our winters are long. Lol

    My post wasnít a bash on the Coopers. Just my honest experience with them. I would use them in a heartbeat the rest of the year.
    Thats pretty interesting....
    Sounds like one likes them and the other doesnt. Trying better than reading, I guess

    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

  5. #15
    Knows a Thing or Two ddays v2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGiant View Post
    Thats pretty interesting....
    Sounds like one likes them and the other doesnt. Trying better than reading, I guess

    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    I think a lot of this is geography and my experience with the Coopers in the snow has been great - both on & off road. But I do agree that this isn't purely a snow tire. My perspective is coming from dealing with the occasional snow we deal with here in Western Pa and thinking of them as an all season tire that works great in that capacity. But to flip that around, while the Duratracs are great snow tires, I have no idea how they'd do as an off road tire, so I probably wouldn't want them as an all season set.

    I guess what it comes down to is there really isn't a perfect tire that is a top performer in every season. Ideally it would be great to be able to have a winter only set if you live in an area like Colorado and a set for the rest of the year.
    Gruff 2014 JKU Money Pit on 37's
    Badger 2019 JLUR on 35's (so far)

  6. #16
    Guy with a Red 2-Door Cozdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    I think a lot of this is geography and my experience with the Coopers in the snow has been great - both on & off road. But I do agree that this isn't purely a snow tire. My perspective is coming from dealing with the occasional snow we deal with here in Western Pa and thinking of them as an all season tire that works great in that capacity. But to flip that around, while the Duratracs are great snow tires, I have no idea how they'd do as an off road tire, so I probably wouldn't want them as an all season set.

    I guess what it comes down to is there really isn't a perfect tire that is a top performer in every season. Ideally it would be great to be able to have a winter only set if you live in an area like Colorado and a set for the rest of the year.
    The duratrac are a good tire off road as well.

  7. #17
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    24
    I had one Wisconsin winter under my belt with the Coopers and they did well. Grip was adequate, even at its coldest (-50) through the polar vortex. I honestly expected a bit more out of them but I might have been running them at too high a psi.

  8. #18
    Been Around the Block Onlyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Eagle, Co
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    I totally get it. We're going to be running Duratracs on the JT for that reason. It will see nearly zero trail time.
    Nearly zero is more than zero.. LOL I have a feeling the percentages will rise..
    Last edited by Onlyone; 09-25-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    2018 JLUR SOLD
    2018 Ram Power Wagon on 37ís
    2019 Bikini JLR Turbo 2 Door on 37ís Mopar lift

  9. #19
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
    Nearly zero is more than zero.. LOL I have a feeling the percentages will rise..
    Lol. I was actually thinking that as I typed it. No rocks though. Just forest roads to look at wildflowers.

  10. #20
    Old Timer doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    Lol. I was actually thinking that as I typed it. No rocks though. Just forest roads to look at wildflowers.
    You're only fooling yourself. 😂

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •