Cooper STT Pro and snow

NFRs2000NYC

I think you guys need to divide the conversation into two parts.....loose/fresh/offroad snow, and packed smooth road snow. Two completely different conditions. In my experience, MTs actually do well in loose snow offroad, because they can scoop and fling and claw their way through, but on packed icy smooth road snow, they can't scoop and lack of sipes makes it impossible to grip...so they end up sliding around causing serious driving issues. Just saying "good in snow" is a bit misleading.

JTCO

Meme King
I think you guys need to divide the conversation into two parts.....loose/fresh/offroad snow, and packed smooth road snow. Two completely different conditions. In my experience, MTs actually do well in loose snow offroad, because they can scoop and fling and claw their way through, but on packed icy smooth road snow, they can't scoop and lack of sipes makes it impossible to grip...so they end up sliding around causing serious driving issues. Just saying "good in snow" is a bit misleading.

Very true.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, this is true. That being said, of all the MT's I've run, I would say that Cooper STT Pros still perform the "best" in both conditions or at least, for an MT.

NFRs2000NYC

You can chalk that up to advancement in tire technology, as MTs don't need to be just blocky pieces of crap that can only do one job. Modern MTs can have almost all attributes of a good AT tire (granted, at the expense of certain things, like tire wear.) Softer compounds (great for grip, bad for life), siping in key places, solid lugs in key places, etc, makes modern hybrid tires the best of both worlds. If you look closely, you can see the STT pro looks VERY VERY similar to a duratrac, only with slightly larger lugs in certain places, and a bit less siping.

Jeeeep

poser stand :cheesy::cheesy:

I travel from Texas to Utah via Colorado or New Mexico and can say from the seat of my slightly soiled pants the 1st time I took a curve on Colorado I-70 and felt myself changing lanes while running BFG KO2 315's when I realized even at a slower speed the slush was not clearing out of the tire as well as expected. 37's were slightly better but still didn't feel as solid as a stock BFG (285).

The 37x13.5 Cooper STT PRO on my JK actually handled better than the BFG 315's or 37x12.50 KO2's in winter conditions, snow falling and accumilating or slush.

I'm still kind of partial to Duratracs in the winter, even though it has a similar pattern to the BFG...i'm guessing the rubber compound plays a big roll in all this.

YAHAHA

We drove through a blizzard of >3"/hour and visibility of maybe 20 feet. This limited our speed to about 20mph max but the STTs did GREAT. When traffic cleared and I could choose my own speed, I got up to between 45-50 mph. Changing lanes on the highway through the rutted snow was no problem. I didn't have any issues with any of the snowfalls we received in Chicago.

We put the factory KOs on our F150. The truck weighs more which helped it track true but traction while accelerating, breaking and turning in the Jeep was as good or better than the F150 with KOs.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

JTCO

Meme King
I had some running around to do yesterday on roads like this

DSC05258.jpg

and there are several hills where I live. My Cooper STT Pros are starting to wear down to where some of the siping is even missing. These things still kicked ass.

DSC05261.jpg

DSC05262.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, social media influencers say that Milestar Patagonias are the bomb. :cheesy:

In all seriousness, of all the mud terrains I've run, STT Pros seemed to hook up the best in conditions like that.

YAHAHA

I'll also add that we have Duratracs on our TJ and I've run them on our F150. They are great in all weather. Not super in deep mud but good on the trail too.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.