Cooper STT Pro and snow

dixonk

JTCO

Meme King
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with running these tires in the snow (winter months)?

Contemplating on going back to my KO’2s for winter.

I've run 2 sets in the snow here in CO. They actually perform really well. Me personally, I prefer the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac All Terrains for daily snow driving, but if I was set on having to have a mud terrain tire, I would run the Cooper STT Pros in a heartbeat. They perform well in the snow for a mud terrain tire.

dixonk

The only complaint I have of the STT Pros is they are extremely hard. 26psi is what I am running on the highway to keep them happy on these wonderful Oklahoma roads. They are also a lot louder than BFGs. On the trail and inclement conditions they are superb in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
These tires perform super well here in the northeast winters. Grip the snow and throw it out of the way!

Onlyone

Sorry, but maybe it’s that they were on a truck but there’s nothing good about the STT pros in the snow in my experience. Downright dangerous on my Power Wagon. Other than that, great. Now, that’s not really a problem with the tire. They aren’t made for snow and ice. To those that say the KO2s are bad, have no experience in snow and ice. That’s where the BFGs are excellent. Completely different tires with no comparisons. Both are great at different things. If you regularly drive in lots of snow and ice, please don’t think these will be anything but what common sense will tell you. If you have a set of KO2s sitting around, use them and save the Coopers for the rocks.

ddays v2

I'd disagree with this ^^. I've had both and I didn't think there was a comparison between the two. While I'm not saying that the Coopers are the choice as the best snow tire available, I thought they performed better than the KO2's. The tread pattern on the Coopers cleared the snow better and the tread compound seems better suited to slick conditions that the KO's. :twocents:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
This is probably going to be useless, but what the hell...

I have no experience with Cooper STT Pros in the winter.

The tiny 215/65R16 KO2s on my Subaru (seen HERE) have been superb in all types of snow, only surpassed by my wife's blizzaks.

JTCO

Meme King
Sorry, but maybe it’s that they were on a truck but there’s nothing good about the STT pros in the snow in my experience. Downright dangerous on my Power Wagon. Other than that, great. Now, that’s not really a problem with the tire. They aren’t made for snow and ice. To those that say the KO2s are bad, have no experience in snow and ice. That’s where the BFGs are excellent. Completely different tires with no comparisons. Both are great at different things. If you regularly drive in lots of snow and ice, please don’t think these will be anything but what common sense will tell you. If you have a set of KO2s sitting around, use them and save the Coopers for the rocks.

Where you live may be part of it too. Snow sticks around and a lot more hills.

Onlyone

This is probably going to be useless, but what the hell...

I have no experience with Cooper STT Pros in the winter.

The tiny 215/65R16 KO2s on my Subaru (seen HERE) have been superb in all types of snow, only surpassed by my wife's blizzaks.
I really wanted to like them (Coopers) in the snow and tried my best but they just aren’t a winter tire. I knew that going into it. They are a terrific tire overall and for those that don’t see the snowfall like we do they are superb. I couldn’t even make it up my hill without 4wd in the truck with the Coopers. The KO2, I didn’t need it, even in the deep snows coming home. We run Blizzaks on the Lincoln and went with the KO2S on the truck and Jeep. I give up some strength with the BFG but gain more in the winter. Our winters are long. Lol

My post wasn’t a bash on the Coopers. Just my honest experience with them. I would use them in a heartbeat the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Onlyone

Where you live may be part of it too. Snow sticks around and a lot more hills.

True, but you guys get your fair share. As I said in my last post, I wasn’t bashing the Cooper in any way. Just my experience. I would blame myself more than the tire. I should have known better.

JTCO

Meme King
I really wanted to like them (Coopers) in the snow and tried my best but they just aren’t a winter tire. I knew that going into it. They are a terrific tire overall and for those that don’t see the snowfall like we do they are superb. I couldn’t even make it up my hill without 4wd in the truck with the Coopers. The KO2, I didn’t need it, even in the deep snows coming home. We run Blizzaks on the Lincoln and went with the KO2S on the truck and Jeep. I give up some strength with the BFG but gain more in the winter. Our winters are long. Lol

My post wasn’t a bash on the Coopers. Just my honest experience with them. I would use them in a heartbeat the rest of the year.

True, but you guys get your fair share. As I said in my last post, I wasn’t bashing the Cooper in any way. Just my experience. I would blame myself more than the tire. I should have known better.

I totally get it. We're going to be running Duratracs on the JT for that reason. It will see nearly zero trail time.

MrGiant

Thats pretty interesting....
Sounds like one likes them and the other doesnt. Trying better than reading, I guess

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

ddays v2

Thats pretty interesting....
Sounds like one likes them and the other doesnt. Trying better than reading, I guess

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

I think a lot of this is geography and my experience with the Coopers in the snow has been great - both on & off road. But I do agree that this isn't purely a snow tire. My perspective is coming from dealing with the occasional snow we deal with here in Western Pa and thinking of them as an all season tire that works great in that capacity. But to flip that around, while the Duratracs are great snow tires, I have no idea how they'd do as an off road tire, so I probably wouldn't want them as an all season set.

I guess what it comes down to is there really isn't a perfect tire that is a top performer in every season. Ideally it would be great to be able to have a winter only set if you live in an area like Colorado and a set for the rest of the year.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think a lot of this is geography and my experience with the Coopers in the snow has been great - both on & off road. But I do agree that this isn't purely a snow tire. My perspective is coming from dealing with the occasional snow we deal with here in Western Pa and thinking of them as an all season tire that works great in that capacity. But to flip that around, while the Duratracs are great snow tires, I have no idea how they'd do as an off road tire, so I probably wouldn't want them as an all season set.

I guess what it comes down to is there really isn't a perfect tire that is a top performer in every season. Ideally it would be great to be able to have a winter only set if you live in an area like Colorado and a set for the rest of the year.

The duratrac are a good tire off road as well.

Pasty

I had one Wisconsin winter under my belt with the Coopers and they did well. Grip was adequate, even at its coldest (-50) through the polar vortex. I honestly expected a bit more out of them but I might have been running them at too high a psi.

Onlyone

I totally get it. We're going to be running Duratracs on the JT for that reason. It will see nearly zero trail time.

Nearly zero is more than zero.. LOL I have a feeling the percentages will rise..

Last edited: