Cooper STT Pro and snow

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Milestar Patagonias, lol. I'd rather not put the safety of my family at risk to be trendy and save a few bucks.

Wait, what? Are you saying that they wouldn't provide any traction on slippery surfaces? :cheesy:

I'll also add that we have Duratracs on our TJ and I've run them on our F150. They are great in all weather. Not super in deep mud but good on the trail too.

Oh yeah, Duratracs are amazing in the snow. Of course, they're not mud terrains.

Anotherws6

I have no experience with Coopers bit ran 35" duratracs on my Silverado for 5 years. I didn't run them bald but probably got 50k out of them. PHENOMENAL snow tire for the first 2 years. Then they got downright scary. Plenty of tread, all of the million little sipes and ridges between lugs all fine..... they just got slippery as hell. I dunno. I will not buy another set and did not when it came time to replace them. Which happened after I had one blow out badly on the highway in the middle of nowhere during a heavy snow storm. No. Way. Dude.

I understand experiences will vary.

Deezus

37/12.50/17 @8psi and lower and the tires are average in the snow at best. I've also had Nitto TGs and they were better. I think it's better to have a wider track tire in the snow and I've always ran 12:50 so maybe try a 13:50 and that would be better.
Everything else is great. But at the price I paid I'm ok with it.
Toyo M/t is the best in snow I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with Coopers bit ran 35" duratracs on my Silverado for 5 years. I didn't run them bald but probably got 50k out of them. PHENOMENAL snow tire for the first 2 years. Then they got downright scary. Plenty of tread, all of the million little sipes and ridges between lugs all fine..... they just got slippery as hell. I dunno. I will not buy another set and did not when it came time to replace them. Which happened after I had one blow out badly on the highway in the middle of nowhere during a heavy snow storm. No. Way. Dude.

I understand experiences will vary.

No question, Duratracs are awesome in the snow - maybe the best short of running studded tires. But then, they're not a mud terrain and kinda made for the stuff. As far as mud terrains go, I would still say that STT Pros are one of the best I've run in the white stuff.

37/12.50/17 @8psi and lower and the tires are average in the snow at best. I've also had Nitto TGs and they were better. I think it's better to have a wider track tire in the snow and I've always ran 12:50 so maybe try a 13:50 and that would be better.
Everything else is great. But at the price I paid I'm ok with it.
Toyo M/t is the best in snow I've seen.

I've been a long time fan of Toyo MT's especially being that they're such a great all around tire that are quite on pavement, wear well and have near bulletproof sidewalls. Likewise, I love Nitto Trail Grapplers, have run them in the past and running them again and they too are a great all around tire that do well off road. That being said, I can't say that I agree with you on this. Having run all 3 in the snow and ice, I have to say that STT Pros out performed both. But then, that's just me.

Deezus

No question, Duratracs are awesome in the snow - maybe the best short of running studded tires. But then, they're not a mud terrain and kinda made for the stuff. As far as mud terrains go, I would still say that STT Pros are one of the best I've run in the white stuff.

I've been a long time fan of Toyo MT's especially being that they're such a great all around tire that are quite on pavement, wear well and have near bulletproof sidewalls. Likewise, I love Nitto Trail Grapplers, have run them in the past and running them again and they too are a great all around tire that do well off road. That being said, I can't say that I agree with you on this. Having run all 3 in the snow and ice, I have to say that STT Pros out performed both. But then, that's just me.

I really liked the Duratracs as well for snow.
All my buddies run 13.50s and I think that and maybe my reluctance to get on the skinny pedal factors in to..
Last You're I was up at high lakes with very little snow and I was really having problems getting traction even at like 5 psi, now they were running 1350 size tires and I think that has a lot to do with it more wide of a tire getting more traction .
I've also had my friends with 1350s tell me that they're slipping and sliding on the rocks with STT pros and I've never had the issue on the rocks so I don't know how they do it but but also too they don't air down to eight they go to like 12 and 15 and that makes a difference.
I think what would be cool is if we could do a test in the snow or something with you know four or five rigs different tires same psi same width and to do a test like that then you could really see the difference.

NFRs2000NYC

I also disagree on wider being better in snow. Wide tires end up floating, having less pressure on the tarmac, making them far more skittish. Pizza cutters would be better for snow....and I have 35” 12.5 duratracs lol.

arcticaaron

The trick with mud tires is to have them siped at a tire shop for winter use. I run cooper STTs (37x12.5)on my JL and have done so for the past year. Once they were siped they did very well. It’s a night and day difference. I live in Anchorage and drive on snow and ice for half the year.

The tires still aren’t quite as good as a dedicated winter tire such as Blizzack but they do well. And in loose snow they are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Bfgmt

If you want a tire that is good for occasional off-road and amazing in the snow ( Maine winters) the Falken wildpeak can’t be beat for an at tire in the snow and I have run many tires over the years