Your Opinion on Start Stop Tech

SomeLikeItDirty

Hey folks. I’d like to know your opinion on start stop technology for Jeeps. I never owned a vehicle with stop start technology, and I’m wondering if anybody has and how the experience went with them as well.

Also, what are some pros and cons with that tech when off roading specifically?

Thanks

13_gecko_rubi

Off roading, in 4 low at least, it will be shut off. In 2wd or 4hi u can shut it off.

I've driven several vehicles with it. At first it's odd but ince you are used to it it's no big deal.

Sent via....

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a few family members with it and you get used to it.

I’m glad to hear that they provide the option to turn it off and that it automatically turns off in 4lo @13_gecko_rubi

13_gecko_rubi

The interesting thing many people dont know is start stop has been on the JK for years in Europe. It isn't new tech, just newer in USA.

Sent via....

OJK12

I wish jeep would make an actual off button for some of these things. I realize why it’s there and that a lot of people want this but if your gonna go through the trouble of putting an off button for the start/stop or traction control why not just make it so it’s off until we want it back on? I hate that you have to turn it off every time you restart it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Hate it. Annoying at worst, dangerous at best. Also puts extra wear on parts, as starting an engine puts more stress on it than idling.

Scoop315

I rented a car in Ireland this past summer and it was unnerving at first. Then, it was no big deal after the first day. The weird thing is how seemless it is when the engine starts when you take your foot off the brake. I was driving a small sedan (Opel Yaris) with a Diesel engine, and the engine was quiet to the old VW Rabbit my uncle had in the early 1980s

chad

I test drove a JL the other day and it kicked on several times throughout the drive. I'm not a big fan of it from my very limited experience.

I had an F-150 a few years ago and frequented those forums quite a bit. I remember when Ford first implemented the Auto Start Stop tech on the EcoBoost there were a lot of guys who were not happy about it. If I remember correctly, there was a guy who figured out how to switch the wires on the Start Stop module, behind the dash, so that the truck would default to the Start Stop turned off and it was only engaged once the button was pressed. Not sure of what implications this would have on a warranty, or how difficult it would be to switch back if you had a warranty issue or anything like that, but I found it interesting and would be interested to see if the same could be done with the JL.

13_gecko_rubi

I wish jeep would make an actual off button for some of these things. I realize why it’s there and that a lot of people want this but if your gonna go through the trouble of putting an off button for the start/stop or traction control why not just make it so it’s off until we want it back on? I hate that you have to turn it off every time you restart it.

It's actually a very simple reason. If it doesn't turn back on at every key cycle then it doesn't count towards EPA numbers. Many manufacturers don't evwn put off buttons in vehicles any more. You are just stuck with it. At least there is the option to turn it off if you so wish.

Sent via....