KMC XD231 Beadlock

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Backspace is listed as 4.75. You're either going to need spacers, or find something with a backspacing of 3.5 if you're running the EVO MFG JLU HC LAs.

^^^EDIT...I don't know what the %$@#! I'm talking about. I was thinking of COs, not LAs. Apologies.

Last edited:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Backspace is listed as 4.75. You're either going to need spacers, or find something with a backspacing of 3.5 if you're running the EVO MFG JLU HC LAs.

Isn’t that only with the coilovers? Longarms wouldn’t change what wheels you would need. It’s only fixing geometry.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Isn’t that only with the coilovers? Longarms wouldn’t change what wheels you would need. It’s only fixing geometry.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

This is my understanding as well. Only with coilovers is where you need to more backspacing

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

This is my understanding as well. Only with coilovers is where you need to more backspacing

:doh: Crap... of course you are both right. My apologies. I was in such a hurry to sound like a know-it-all. Lol!

CalSgt

Thinking about purchasing these as well for my JLUR. Post pics on your jeep! And thoughts! I live in CA!View attachment 13561

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Some negative things you should know about beadlocks before purchasing:

Not street legal in CA. Most cops don't know the difference between Beadlocks and simulated beadlocks but if they do you might get a ticket or towed.

Most tire shops won't work on them, shops that do don't do it for cheap. I worked in tire shops for a few years & it took me 2 hours to mount the first one & about 1 hour for each one after I got in a rhythm.

CalSgt

So what is your opinion on the positives? I don’t live in California so I’m curious what benefit you would have out there?

The benefit of beadlocks are the same no matter where in the world you are... air them down lower with less risk of loosing a bead, or spinning the rim in the tire.

The OP specifically mentioned that he is in CA too so I figured I would share with him some disadvantages.

CalSgt

So it’s not a good idea to run them in Cali on the road? Weird how particular they are out west about bead locks.

We had a CHP in my area that hammered everyone in the county for tires that stuck out past the fenders, and any other equipment violations he could spot. He wrote me for tinted windows twice... He's since moved out of the area & nobody has had any issues since.

I have had a few SO Deputy's, PD Officers, and CHP's notice my jeep in parking lots & some of them complemented it... None of them seemed to give a shit about the beadlocks but I live in a small town in the North Eastern Sierras.

CalSgt

I figured. I’m trying to get them done by a local shop, don’t wanna take it to the 4x4 shops here as I’m sure they’ll charge up the ass.

Doesn't cost anything to call around and ask for quotes to get it done. Might also be able to bait friends over to help mount them with a case of beer, I know I've showed up at a friends house with my torque wrench for beer...

The shop that balanced mine asked me to put a few hundred miles on them before balancing & charged me $20 each to spin my 37's. I didn't think that $20 each was too bad considering I didn't buy the wheels or tires from them & they have done free rotations for me since I had them balanced.