New or Used?

DEFCON1

Hello JL family. Have any of you found the deals to be better if you purchase a JL Wrangler new vs used? Having a tough time distinguishing between the cost comparison of a used JL vs a discounted new JL; possibly because of the wranglers strength in resale value?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

mac214

If you take your time on ordering from the right dealer, it looks like the 2018s will only net you a couple/few thousand in savings and you will loose out on the warranty expended since in service date. I didn’t do much searching online for used but the Rubis I saw with a quick search were low 40s depending on options.

All would depend on model, options, etc... plus price sensitivity for you personally.

IMO, right now you are still better off at 5-7% off invoice on a new JL. Also, with the 2020s, you may be able to get a good deal on remaining inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nellipj

I just went through this myself. Used was the way I went for 1 big reason, mods. I was able to find my 2018 Rubicon with 16,000 miles for $41,000. Building a new one with the same specs would have cost me $46,000. For what I wanted to do right away, it was much more beneficial for me to go used and put the savings toward suspension, wheels, and tires right away for essentially the same cost.

mac214

I just went through this myself. Used was the way I went for 1 big reason, mods. I was able to find my 2018 Rubicon with 16,000 miles for $41,000. Building a new one with the same specs would have cost me $46,000. For what I wanted to do right away, it was much more beneficial for me to go used and put the savings toward suspension, wheels, and tires right away for essentially the same cost.

Mods is a good point - although when I was thinking about the original post I was thinking mods already installed. Typically mods don’t raise the value very much at all, so if you find one modded the way you would want, you may come out ahead.

Also, if you are thinking about modding extensively, maybe the warranty is of no concern and @nellipj makes a great point of that money being able to go directly into the mods you have planned.

CalSgt

Mods is a good point - although when I was thinking about the original post I was thinking mods already installed. Typically mods don’t raise the value very much at all, so if you find one modded the way you would want, you may come out ahead.

Also, if you are thinking about modding extensively, maybe the warranty is of no concern and @nellipj makes a great point of that money being able to go directly into the mods you have planned.

Before I bought my JL I was shopping for a used JK for about 6 months... Too many people want to increase the price based on what they paid retail for any parts added & way too many of them have the entire smittybilt package, a junk lift kit, Chinese light bars, and wheels/tires I would replace installed. All of the ones I found that had real quality stuff on them ended up to be scammers or salvaged titles.

I ended up buying new because I was too picky on used ones...

When I brought my 2018 to the dealer to get the deadspot in my steering diagnosed they replaced my whole steering box. When I looked the part# up on line it had been redesigned FIVE times.... Now there's new steering stabilizers, i think the drag link has been updated, and not to mention the shitty track bar weld fiasco. Buy new. Its also very worth noting that the sport with the diesel comes with both dana 44 axles. If you're gonna build it that's a hell of a nice package to start with.