Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JL Trektop VS. Factory soft top

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I have a little heart burn with them especially being that they asked to use a video clip of ours for promotional use and said they would help us out in the future with a Trektop. Of course, when it finally came out and I followed up on it, they started acting like I was asking for a handout. After I reminded them of the video and that it was they who offered to help us out as a part of quid pro quo, they offered to give me a slight discount and made me feel like they were doing some kind of favor. It really left a bad taste and I told them to just forget about it. And really, it's a shame because I still like the top and I'm glad that I didn't get one of the early versions of it but as a company, I can't say I'm too fond of them.
    Oh wow Eddie, thatís crazy and pretty unprofessional of them! That is a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I'm not gonna lie, I have a little heart burn with them especially being that they asked to use a video clip of ours for promotional use and said they would help us out in the future with a Trektop. Of course, when it finally came out and I followed up on it, they started acting like I was asking for a handout. After I reminded them of the video and that it was they who offered to help us out as a part of quid pro quo, they offered to give me a slight discount and made me feel like they were doing some kind of favor. It really left a bad taste and I told them to just forget about it. And really, it's a shame because I still like the top and I'm glad that I didn't get one of the early versions of it but as a company, I can't say I'm too fond of them.
    I remember you telling me about that and I've lost a lot of respect for bestop since that happened. Real ballsuckers, these guys.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

If I ever decide to get a soft top for my JL I will probably get a factory soft top

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Our 2014 JKUR came with dual tops, as did our 2018 JLUR. We pretty much used the soft-top exclusively on the JK while the hardtop gathered dust in the garage. It's just the opposite with the JL. We rarely, if ever, put the soft top on. We either run with the hardtop or run with the sunshade sans doors. I thought about selling the soft-top, but I just love keeping all the extra bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Oh wow Eddie, thatís crazy and pretty unprofessional of them! That is a shame.
    What's a shame is that I used to work with them all the time, I mean, for years and years and going way back when. It's the biggest reason why I was so willing to help them out when they asked for it and for FREE. Somewhere along the line, they got bought out and the marketing team changed. Now, in spite of the the fact that I still know the guys in engineering, I'm just dog shit to the company. But, it's all good. Not like there are better options around.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I remember you telling me about that and I've lost a lot of respect for bestop since that happened. Real ballsuckers, these guys.
    It only really sucks because talking to the engineering guys, they all know me and even remember the video clip quid pro quo deal but apparently, they had no real say in the matter and were making promises they couldn't keep.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Our 2014 JKUR came with dual tops, as did our 2018 JLUR. We pretty much used the soft-top exclusively on the JK while the hardtop gathered dust in the garage. It's just the opposite with the JL. We rarely, if ever, put the soft top on. We either run with the hardtop or run with the sunshade sans doors. I thought about selling the soft-top, but I just love keeping all the extra bits and pieces.
    It's funny that you'd say as much. Just about every Jeep I've ever owned came with a hard top and I've literally so each and everyone in favor of running a soft top or Trektop on my JK's. I assumed I would be doing as much on my JL but oddly enough, I really like the JL hard top. I actually think it looks way better than any hard top before and better than the factory soft top. I can't even say that I like the JL Trektop as much as the older JK ones. Call me crazy but what I really don't like are the zipperless flaps. Sure, zipper suck but these glide rail things suck more or at least, in my opinion.

I appreciate everyoneís input so far! Iíve not yet settled on one of the other, but the hardtop will be headed to its new owner Thursday if everything continues to plan!

Sold the hard top this morning
    IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg

My search continues for a good soft top!

Looks great. Love the way they did the JL roll bar.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nice! Looks so good like that
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    Looks great. Love the way they did the JL roll bar.
    Thanks guys! I agree. Just in time for Jeep season here in Texas too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12