Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JL Trektop VS. Factory soft top

JL Trektop VS. Factory soft top

Hey guys!

Iíve made the decision to sell my factory hard top and pick up a soft top(I know, shocker) Iíve always ran Trektops on all my JKs, but with my JL Iíve considered going a different direction and going with a factory soft top.

Iíve read a lot of questionable reviews about the Trektop saying that they are still coming with manufacturing defects and issues, but I like the look of them a lot better, and the price is ALOT better than buying a factory soft top.

So, Iím starting this thread asking for opinions, comments, pictures, reviews, problems or issues youíve had with your JL Trektop or your JL factory soft top. I canít find just a whole lot on the JL soft tops because a lot of people are still running hard tops, but I figured Iíd ask.

So, help me DECIDE! Thank you!

What you've read is all true. If it were me, I would recommend that you just get a factory soft top. If in the future Bestop figures things out, you can always sell what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What you've read is all true. If it were me, I would recommend that you just get a factory soft top. If in the future Bestop figures things out, you can always sell what you have.
    Thanks for the input Eddie! Iíve been leaning this way just because of the issues but canít give up the idea of the Trektop just yet because of the looks.

Iíve considered since my JL isnít my only vehicle just getting a SpiderWebShade and rocking topless for awhile until I can make up my mind. Take the JL on the nice days and when the weather is bad or itís colder just leave it in the garage and jump in my other car!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Thanks for the input Eddie! Iíve been leaning this way just because of the issues but canít give up the idea of the Trektop just yet because of the looks.

Iíve considered since my JL isnít my only vehicle just getting a SpiderWebShade and rocking topless for awhile until I can make up my mind. Take the JL on the nice days and when the weather is bad or itís colder just leave it in the garage and jump in my other car!
    I hear ya. As you know, we've been running TrekTops on Moby and Rubicat forever. I'd go this route on our JL but the issues are holding me back.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I hear ya. As you know, we've been running TrekTops on Moby and Rubicat forever. I'd go this route on our JL but the issues are holding me back.
    I figured this was was what was holding you guys back. I donít necessarily want to be a guinea pig for Bestop. That being said I donít see myself often running the rear windows here in Texas with the nicer weather and it not being my daily, so the issues may not be as apparent as someone that daily drives their JL. I will still need to use the full top on longer road trips to trails and etc.

When running your factory soft top, are you still able to fit Jet in a standard garage with the 37ís? This is the tire size Iím going with and I know the factory soft top is someone between 1-3 inches taller than the hard top, and I donít want to not be able to fit in my garage.

You know I was On The fence with the trektop. I ended up getting one and after getting a new updated back window and rear window bar Iím really happy and impressed with the updates compared to the JK trektop. I havenít owned a JL soft top so I canít compare but it seems like bestop is figuring out solutions to their issues from the first ones. The best thing is I can remove it in about 5 minutes to put the hardtop back on. No more having to remove difficult brackets like the JK. Itís very quiet at highway speeds. The only thing I donít like is the silver bestop branding on the back top area.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJL View Post
    You know I was On The fence with the trektop. I ended up getting one and after getting a new updated back window and rear window bar Iím really happy and impressed with the updates compared to the JK trektop. I havenít owned a JL soft top so I canít compare but it seems like bestop is figuring out solutions to their issues from the first ones. The best thing is I can remove it in about 5 minutes to put the hardtop back on. No more having to remove difficult brackets like the JK. Itís very quiet at highway speeds. The only thing I donít like is the silver bestop branding on the back top area.

Thanks for the input.. I wonder when Bestop will start shipping the updated back windows and tailgate bars with the trektops when you buy one? Because if I knew that Iíd definitely be open to waiting. Iíve heard that solves all the issues.

Thanks for the input.. I wonder when Bestop will start shipping the updated back windows and tailgate bars with the trektops when you buy one? Because if I knew that Iíd definitely be open to waiting. Iíve heard that solves all the issues.

I just called them after I got mine in the spring and complained about the rear tailgate gap and 2 days later there was a new updated window, bar and seal. I was really pleased with their customer service and promptness.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJL View Post
    I just called them after I got mine in the spring and complained about the rear tailgate gap and 2 days later there was a new updated window, bar and seal. I was really pleased with their customer service and promptness.

Iíve always really had a great experience with Bestop customer service. They are a great company to work with!

Iíve always really had a great experience with Bestop customer service. They are a great company to work with!
    I'm not gonna lie, I have a little heart burn with them especially being that they asked to use a video clip of ours for promotional use and said they would help us out in the future with a Trektop. Of course, when it finally came out and I followed up on it, they started acting like I was asking for a handout. After I reminded them of the video and that it was they who offered to help us out as a part of quid pro quo, they offered to give me a slight discount and made me feel like they were doing some kind of favor. It really left a bad taste and I told them to just forget about it. And really, it's a shame because I still like the top and I'm glad that I didn't get one of the early versions of it but as a company, I can't say I'm too fond of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast