Front truss for my Rubicon

JeepJL

I know this is a mixed subject for most but what are the thoughts of trussing the front JL 44 axle to help with the CAD housing and strengthening the housing? I’m running 3.5”bs wheels so that’s definitely not helping the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I know Evo makes one. I think it's about 200 bucks. Personally to me, it doesn't seem like there's been as many JL breaks in comparison to the JK. (Granted the JL has only been out for a year or so). If it were me, I'd just use the Jeep as is and if it breaks, reassess at that time. I still think if I had to modify, I'd rather just swap the axle and not worry about potentially warping the OEM housing while installing the truss. That's just me.

JeepJL

I know Evo makes one. I think it's about 200 bucks. Personally to me, it doesn't seem like there's been as many JL breaks in comparison to the JK. (Granted the JL has only been out for a year or so). If it were me, I'd just use the Jeep as is and if it breaks, reassess at that time. I still think if I had to modify, I'd rather just swap the axle and not worry about potentially warping the OEM housing while installing the truss. That's just me.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. I know there’s a possibility of the CAD cracking or breaking with the updated housing. Eventually I’ll upgrade the axles but until that time comes I’m wondering if the truss will add good insurance. I don’t drive it like I stole it but do use it so it’s prone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with WJCO. While there have been a couple of breaks that have been documented, they were flukes. Even Mel would tell you that his break was caused by a hit hard enough to be considered a car accident. While a truss can strengthen an axle housing, it won't do anything to increase the strength of your internal components and that's really what you should be concerned with. Also, depending on who's doing the install, a truss can actually BEND an axle.

But, that's just my 2¢

JeepJL

I'm with WJCO. While there have been a couple of breaks that have been documented, they were flukes. Even Mel would tell you that his break was caused by a hit hard enough to be considered a car accident. While a truss can strengthen an axle housing, it won't do anything to increase the strength of your internal components and that's really what you should be concerned with. Also, depending on who's doing the install, a truss can actually BEND an axle.

But, that's just my 2¢

Ok, I’m gonna leave it. I realize it wouldn’t do anything internally. Who’s knows it might go a lifetime or a week lol. Thanks for the input.

Spicer has a FAD delete kit that costs $100. I saw it on their site & on quadratec but there are no photos or details. On quadratec it has the welder icon so I’d imagine it’s something serious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I kind of like the FAD. I didn't at first but there are benefits to not having it, namely, you can have a lot more caster and without negative effect.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Was debating doing a truss on my sport since I’m going right to 37’s but after rereading this thread I’m not going to. I haven’t seen or heard of any fad breaks since early on. Just gonna stick with throwing some c gussets on it and call it a day.