Driveshaft dust cover

CalSgt

The boot that covers the driveshaft portion that extends and collapses with suspension flex is torn on my jeep.

How concerned should I be?

I plan to replace driveshafts someday but am not there yet, I planned on waiting to do the longarm conversion to replace them...

The boot that covers the driveshaft portion that extends and collapses with suspension flex is torn on my jeep.

How concerned should I be?

I plan to replace driveshafts someday but am not there yet, I planned on waiting to do the longarm conversion to replace them...

I’d seen some repair kits, but my understanding is it’s dirty now so the clock is ticking. Do like Eddie says and take it to a local shop & see what they say.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll be fine with it torn for a while. Long term, it'll be a problem in that it will seize up and that will cause the rzeppa joint to fail.

CalSgt

I don’t think it’s the same. I thought you had a JK.

Thanks anyway... I'll call Reno Driveline & get a quote for a replacement boot, and one for a custom shaft tomorrow.

Not sure if the rzeppa joints fail as violently as traditional u joints but I can't afford to have a failure on my DD. Last time I neglected a u joint it destroyed the pinion yoke and the driveshaft on my old chevy pickup.

ncb

Hopefully you can get just the boot and the clamp to hold you over until you upgrade . On my JK the boot tore and I installed a replacement high angle repair joint. I never found just the boot and my lift wasn’t tall enough to spend money on an aftermarket shaft. I think the joint will be fine for a bit and long as it’s not getting a bunch of water and grit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app